ToxiCity : the world's largest e-waste dump in Ghana

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nobert, May 13, 2020.

1. Nobert

Nobert

2. Amun Ra

Amun Ra

I bet they've passed up lots of accidentally thrown out hard drives with bitcoins on them and never even knew they were there.

Overnight and Nobert like this.
  3. Nobert

Nobert

Haha. Good one.

People unaware of it existing.

4. Overnight

Overnight

Funny in context, but truthfully, don't they need to know the password for the wallet if they find one on a hard drive?

It just shows, rather, how silly bitcoin/crypto can be. Your wealth dies in a fire in Ghana.

Nobert likes this.
  5. Amun Ra

Amun Ra

If they put a password on it, yes. But even if they did, you can just brute force the password. It's not like the bitcoin wallets lock you out after 3 tries.

6. Overnight

Overnight

And what if the password is FyGGtfj%%78mb$? You cannot brute force that, ever! Mreh.

(I know, I know, most people don't do that. Their password is something like "sam".) :)

7. Corruption on a global scale causes premature deaths in Third World citizens. So basically the US and European countries enjoy a relatively clean environment by transporting their waste to a third world country by making impoverished and ill informed citizens deal with it. The economic term for this, as I recall, is called spillover costs.

The particularly sad part is children growing up with yet another stressor to their health and even mental capacity due to toxic metals such as lead and cadmium. How about the developed countries develop a modern waste treatment infrastructure and look at finding alternative materials where possible with electronic products? Perhaps we can look at renewable wood or another fiber combined with a biodegradable resin instead of plastic. The final product may cost a little more, but it is sure more honorable than dumping our sh*t on someone else.

vanzandt and Nobert like this.
  8. Amun Ra

Amun Ra

What percentage of the population use passwords like that though? Most people didn't put passwords on bitcoin in the first few years. Nobody was scared about 100 bitcoins worth 20 cents being stolen in 2010.

9. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

you can’t MAGA with that kind of thinking.