tough trading week of 09/11/06

Discussion in 'Trading' started by chiguy, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Stock Index Futures

ER2(Russell 2000 emini)
    ES(S&P 500 emini)
    NQ(Nasdaq emini)

#31     Sep 16, 2006
  2. welcome back, rubberbird, like your new handle

#32     Sep 16, 2006
  3. speaking of sif`s.....i just read in a Linda Bradford Racshke article that sif`s volume is comprised of 2/3 rds black box algorithms....found that pretty interesting coming from a respected vet in the futures arena.i find it surprising but accurate as well....i remeber price action from `97 to 2000....before my hiatus,price action would usually give you many entries on a strong move either way.....now you get more of the small coiling consolidations without much retracement & the programs stepping over each other to grab the nearest offer on a small pullback.......limiting conservative entries for individual traders like us.............as well as rough rice being her "trade of the year" last year...................you can find the article in the latest "active trader"mag.

Seth is dead on about seeking other markets that may be less efficient & more importantly more opportunity for the individual.i remeber back in `97 /`98 you`d be able to by the bid relatively easily with maybe 200 cars in front of you....now everyone & their brother seem to be trading ES & you`ll have to go thru 3000 cars to get hit.

does anyone hear trading crude know if CL trades in rythem with QM??? i`d expect it would be arb`d pretty tightly........basically what i`m asking is would i be able to trade QM using the CL chart being that my charting service does not yet have the mini feed form NYMEX but does have the big contract??
    i need to start looking at metals as well.

Seth,if you don`t mind,what metals are you trading & what seems to give you the biggest bang for your buck as well as hi degree of predictability with TA?

steve

#33     Sep 16, 2006
  4. Prevail

Prevail Guest

Right, even iv are higher than stat vols in some of the currencies.

#34     Sep 16, 2006
  5. Arnie

Arnie

I would worry more about black boxes on equities than a SIF. They will get arbed back into line no matter what some bb is doing. Think about it. There is no way price can get that out of whack vis a vis the cash index.

#35     Sep 16, 2006
  6. i always have cl besides qm and they seem to move in a similar fashion, infact i never saw 'em gettin' out of step from eachother. mkts prolly arbed to death. u shoud do fine with cl chart, at least for a start.

#36     Sep 16, 2006
  7. I see.

You trade based on volatility, comparing the securities' current volatility to its historical (loosely used term, historical is open to definition) average.

This technique can be applied either directionally or a trader could enter brackets to catch the move in either direction.

I know because I just spent the weekend backtesting it.
    OK risk, shout out to you.

While I have no idea of the math involved in your models, and I could not realistically use it to make trading decisions even if I did know it, I can understand, apply and use this concept in a manner which is actionable.

You've given me a concept that I can use.

Thank you.
    My week was OK.

Spending too much time on the threads, not enough time in the markets. Gotta set them on auto trade, just showing the concepts and showing how money could have been made, but actually spending more time on my own trading.

But the concepts shared here through interaction are incredible.

Best regards,

Jimmy Jam

#37     Sep 16, 2006
  8. iqfeed has a very inexpensive QM feed through DTNIQ.

I personally wouldn't trade any of the mini's based on the larger cash contract (there's usually a fine line between profit/loss with'em).

Best Regards, (and check it out)

JJ

#38     Sep 16, 2006
  9. bitstream.......i was thinking the same thing........CL/QM they`d have to be arb`d tighter than a virgin on prom night.

JJ......thanks for the ifo on iq feed.....looking into it today.......i hate change but have to make the move from QC.

arnie......good point.

#39     Sep 17, 2006
  10. spoozy, to make things clear i was referrin' to cl futures not cash. so qm futs VS cl futs

#40     Sep 17, 2006