tough trading week of 09/11/06

Discussion in 'Trading' started by chiguy, Sep 15, 2006.

1. same here; after a punishin' august [july was no joke either] this is the first stand-out week i had in a loooong time.

#11     Sep 15, 2006
  2. volente_00

volente_00

You call ES from 1302 to 1336 in 5 days chop ?

#12     Sep 15, 2006
  3. ChrisL

ChrisL

wow, seems like everyone had a good week... i struggled myself:(

#13     Sep 15, 2006
  4. nitro

nitro

Someone asked me if I am red this month, and I told them I was not only red, but ultra-violet. But everytime I get creamed, for some strange reason I get a little better as a trader. I will make it back.

FWIW, I lost all my money position trading. I made plenty scalping small contracts, but my scalp profits were overwhelmed by size in losing overnight positions. All trades are in Stock Index Futures (SIFs).

nitro

#14     Sep 15, 2006
  5. If you buy then you can't lose. Simple really.

#15     Sep 15, 2006
  6. I always wondered who it was on the opposite side of my trades.

:D

#16     Sep 15, 2006
  7. rjv27

rjv27

tough week. the vix hit a low of 10.54 on weds. that's a gross number. i usually don't do well in slowly trending markets....

#17     Sep 15, 2006
  8. lescor

lescor

Some of my strategies did really well this week. I found some good intra day trends and scalp plays. However my statistical-based position trades got worked over and over by, I assume, options expiration related activity. The last hour of the day today was particularly brutal.

#18     Sep 15, 2006
  9. You actually traded the last hour of triple witching. That could be compared to playing russian roulette.

#19     Sep 15, 2006
  10. Two things made this week tough for me.

1) I am a futures trader so roll over made this week tough to trade. Some day traders/scalpers I know take a vacation the week of roll over.

2) Trading the thin volume summer months of July and August have warped my trading habits. The first weeks of September are always a grind because it takes me time to get used to the higher volume tradeable market. For example Tuesday I forgot what a sustained Trend looked like. I kept selling new highs over and over again, and got smacked.

One positive of this week is the strong move to the upside. Next couple of weeks should be interesting. Either we continue flying high or we come tumbling down. Either way we should get some good moves.

#20     Sep 15, 2006