Total Newbie (self taught/punished) Tries to make it big. (No joke!)

Discussion in 'Journals' started by taumeson, Jul 2, 2003.

1. LOL... Gums...

#31     Jul 4, 2003
  2. Day trading means exectly what it is, Day Trading, and not holding positions overnight. Though, some traders would hold overnight in very specific cases - but usually the positions would be smaller and more conservative than their daily actions. If you are holding for a swing trade then define it in advance.

I don't know if I have to tell you THE MOST BASIC concept in trading: Always define your target and stop-loss before you enter a trade - which is among the most fundamental ideas of trading.

So keep your capital for trading and cut your loses short. Don't wait, who knows how long, just to break even. What if the market tanks on Monday and doesn't recover for 8 months? Do you think a professional trader can keep his capital tied up in a bad trade for such a long time?
    In any case I wouldn't advise you to mix different kinds of trades if you are still a novice, try to consentrate on one thing at a time

#32     Jul 5, 2003
  3. taumeson

taumeson

Hi guys, just want to update my current status.

Over the last 2 days I've been going crazy since I've been trying to short QQQ and it hasnt been working...

after getting wind of the YHOO earnings I shorted at $35.70 and made back my losses....

however I learned two valuable lessons...

==================================
    1) Look at the BIG PICTURE trend...

this is in regards to my loosing over the last few days trying to short QQQ..... cost me about $1400 total.

====================================
    2) Use physical loss stops, use mental gain stops

Okay this is a pretty ugly lesson I just re-learned shorting YHOO... if I didnt put in a physical limit cover, I would have made an extra $1200 to $2600 when the YHOO price plunged...
    Oh well.. I guess I dont learn a lesson very well if it only costs me $20... since I loose $2000 in gains I'll remember from now on.

======================================
    Current positions:
    Long 1400 YHOO @34.49
    Long 60 YHOO @ 33.90
    Gains: $23 ... 0.092%

==================================

I'll post my dumbass transactions in bulk in the next few days. belive me it's not a pretty sight ... a little clarity of mind is definatly needed on my part going forward.

-Jason

#33     Jul 9, 2003