Total monthly cost up-front $$$

Discussion in 'Trading' started by gary, Oct 26, 2001.

1. Magna

Magna Administrator

gary,

I really enjoy trading with a small nut to cover.

Unfortunately most of the "nut to cover" is not your business expenses related to trading, but normal life expenses i.e., rent or mortgage, property taxes, health insurance, auto payments, auto insurance, telephone bill, utilities bills, grocery shopping, meals out, clothing, education, gifts, emergencies, etc.

Compared to those your business expenses for, say, a broadband connection, level 2 data feed, and good order-entry software amounts to peanuts. If you're focusing on the latter thinking it's the whole universe then you're focusing on the wrong thing. And shortchanging yourself (if you're trading for a living which I seriously doubt you are) so that you can keep your monthly business expenses down to $20 or thereabouts, just so you can claim you're the lowest, is downright silly. Something about Penny Wise, Pound Foolish comes to mind.

#21     Oct 27, 2001
  2. Hitman is right. Another way to look at it: Even at a $1000/months in fixed expenses, that's only $50 per day. If you can't clear $50 you're probably not profitable enough to live off of it.

Personally, I have never understood why anyone would go cheap on computers, quote feeds, software an so on. Late quotes, software crashes or similar can easily cost you many times what you think you're saving.

#22     Oct 27, 2001
  3. kenstl

kenstl

can we please kill this thread????

there is no point to it. it sounds like a bunch of kids arguing about how much their daddy makes.

enough please.

#23     Oct 27, 2001
  4. gary

gary

Thanks for all views shared. 2 yrs ago i would have been on your side of the fence.
    Good trading to all.

#24     Oct 27, 2001
  5. tymjr

tymjr

vinigar: “thats abiet,abeit,abeit,abeit thats all folks.”

Damn, ya nailed it! That’s a much better Porky impression than mine. I’m jealous. :)

#25     Oct 27, 2001
  6. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

where are the moderators when you need them ?
    hehe ! just kidding.. maybe you want to continue this nonsense.

#26     Oct 27, 2001
  7. could you imagine going into a new doctors office for a checkup..

(YOU) - "Hey Doctor, im here for my appointment.. ~looking around~ this is just an empty, rundown shack!?.."

(Doctor) - "Yeah.. I really keep my expenses down.. no rent, no lights, no insurance.. ..go ahead and take off your shirt so i can listen to that heart of yours.."

(YOU) - "Doc!??.. why are you putting your ear to my chest!?.. dont you have a stethoscope?"

(Doctor) - "ME!? heck no.. do you know how much those things cost!! why, SOMEBODY gets rich when i buy a stethoscope.. i used to have all of those things, but ive found that i can get by without them just fine.. sure, i lose customers, but i have a small nutt.. so, i dont need much money.."

(YOU) - "..if you say so.."

(Doctor) - "ok now.. open your mouth and go "ahhh".. ~Doctor turns to woman sitting on the floor in the corner~ "Honey, go next door and see if we can borrow that tongue depressor again, ok?"

=)

-qwik

#27     Oct 27, 2001
  8. quik...you suffer from 'false analogy'..please shut up! :mad:

you're not even funny

just dumb

#28     Oct 27, 2001
  9. ddefina

ddefina

TraderRX's brother?

#29     Oct 28, 2001
  10. Magna

Magna Administrator

ddefina,

TraderRX's brother?

Isn't it amazing how quickly a nasty personality shines through. No need to think brother.

#30     Oct 28, 2001