TOS extremly memory hungry and slow after recent update

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Data09, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Data09

Data09

Did everyone else face this issue? Deleted usergui, rolled back to an older backup. Nothing helps.

TOS support have no clue. Other users on Stocktwits reported same issue. Is this the end of TOS?

2. wintergasp

wintergasp

The end of TOS because... your computer is slow ?

3. Data09

Data09

Useless next one please.

tommcginnis likes this.
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

Mine uses 271 MB of memory, how much is yours?

5. Data09

Data09

after a hour, more than 3GB. 271MB sounds very low. I thought about 800MB-1.5GB should be normal.

TDA said there is an issue with the recent update. Java related. But no workaround yet.

6. Pekelo

Pekelo

Mine always updates before log in, is there a way to change that? Or is it advisable to do so?

7. Data09

Data09

it checks only for updates. Updates normally occur during the weekend. There is no way to avoid updates.

8. Pekelo

Pekelo

I got curious, and I fired up the other laptop. With W7, it took like 2 minutes before I got to the log in screen because of the TOS updates. (but this occurs pretty much everyday, not just after the weekend, although usually 20-30 seconds)
    It uses 850 MB as compared to the other W10 laptop's 270MB, still much less than yours. The only difference was between them beside the OS that one was started from scratch, the other was awakened from hibernation, so I assume that is why the bigger memory usage.

So looks like the problem is in your computer, not with TOS... Try to install it on another laptop and see how much it uses...

Edit: I did a fresh restart with the W7 laptop and the usage is 922 MB now....

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  9. chthys

chthys

I've been with TOS since 2009 (when it was really TOS and not TDA). The platform rocked then, and I was able to display hundreds of charts per day with just a single core 2GHz PC running XP. I had multiple panels of charts to choose from and it was fast. Tom Sosnoff oversaw the platform development.

Now, with a PC many times faster it is almost impossible to navigate at all. Very few charts are displayed, and it takes a few seconds to respond to a single keystroke. Since TDA took over they've kept adding "features" (studies that don't work, etc.) so it has become more and more bloated.

I've heard that with an 8 core i7 and 64GB of memory it runs ok, but wait a couple years and it will be useless even then. Something is seriously wrong with their programming team or its management.

MoreLeverage, zdreg and athlonmank8 like this.
  10. Pekelo

Pekelo

I think it measures how much resource (memory) you have and uses it accordingly. The W10 laptop is a cheapo with 2 Gb memory, so that would explain why it uses so little of it.(less thaqn 1/6th) The W7 laptop has 6 Gb and uses 1/6th of it. It also probably measures allover usage, and if you fire up other programs, TOS might start to use less. Just a guess...

Edit: This is old, but maybe some useful advice:

http://community.tradeking.com/foru...-for-making-tos-experience-better/forum_posts

How to configure memory settings in TOS:

http://kb.simplertrading.com/tosmem/

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    #10     Mar 7, 2017