Toronto Prop/Trading Firms

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by Jack_Larkin, Feb 7, 2012.

1. So basically you want:

1. risk someone else's money
    2. get maximum profit sharing
    3. pay no commissions
    4. be mentored
    5. work from home
    6. not commute
    7. not put up any of your own risk capital against losses

...ideally.

How about McDonald's? I hear they have a great management training program. You'll be making Big Mac's in China in not time.

Jesus. WTF do you guys come from...

#11     Feb 17, 2012
  2. I come from a firm that offers all this sans the remote access.

And I never said "maximum profit sharing", I said profit sharing that is reasonable given they are taking on the risk. Getting just under a 50%, and I feel that is acceptable.

That's why they care about training and mentoring.. because they make their profits from trading returns.

There's no commissions because they aren't a broker-dealer. I'm not using them as a broker, I am trading their capital for them through their means of DMA. They do charge a small clearing fee, but we're talking like pennies per trade...

I'm comfortable where I am, but after a recent shakeup around the office and a few ongoing technology issues I felt looking for alternatives wouldn't hurt.

#12     Feb 17, 2012
  3. SMB Capital.

#13     Feb 17, 2012
  4. Only someone who can't make a living trading on their own would make such an assinine statement.

#14     Feb 17, 2012
  5. What you ask is not too much in theory, I'm really curious where you work and how you got in. Please feel free to PM me I am in montreal and may at some point move if the offer is that good.

In theory you are trading their money and they are giving you 50%.
    So when you do well they make 50% and when you do bad they take it off the the 50% you made meaning that there is no lose to them.

This works great for good traders that will not do bad. What about traders that do well some times and bad other times.

when they win (say 2000$), the company makes 50% or 1000.
    when they loose (say 500$) they still make 1000$ but now you lost 500$ from your cut.

But, what if you take your funds out or are just starting. ?
    If you incur a lose on day 1 (say 500$) who is to pay for the lose ?
    They have 2 options,
    1. They leave your balance in the negative and hope you do better and pay it off. (stupid risky business)
    2. They come to you and tell you to pay out of pocket for your lose.

in case 2 if you are to pay out of your pocket it is the same as leaving a deposit with them.

I have been doing a little research on Title trading, I am told by above repliers that they offer something similar to the model you are looking for. But they take out the above mentioned risk by charging a premium on fees. It seems that this is their bread and butter. They seem to really have tight stop losses and encourage high volume, the return from the fees is said to be 5 times higher then the total "stop lose"

So you can expect alot of limits. and on top of that they pay out 50%.

The broker can never take on risk as there are so few that "make" it and markets change.

If you had a broker that gave you all that you ask for and 10 people walked in each loosing thousands a day from day one the company would suffer.

Either you take on your risk (arcade), let them take it on and have it hedged by by fee mark ups, (which you pay) or you trade on your own.

technically you are always in the same situation. when they take risk away from you (trade their capital) they put a value on the risk with a really big cushion and charge it back to you at really high prices.

so generally its all the same in the end or it should be. add in the amount of investment that was made and the financial backing of the company and you should complete the picture.

big firms with money will some how charge more, but in turn you should get paid.

Small firms will use any of teh above models and offer a better deal but they may be less likely to pay you and probably not as well set up. IF you trade for years, you will one month get stung and find that in the end of the day you may have made just as much as being with the big firm.

In terms or leverage offered, it is really a joke. the more leverage you have the more the chances you bottom out. So it is not really a selling point.

Working from home should fit in the same way.

basically look at the bosses car, divide its value by the profit generated and that would be where the wast is. At such a small percentage, I think I would like to find the bosses left passenger mirror so he is cool with me.

This is all very general and I have not done alot of research, It may not be what it is but rather what it should be.

Alternatively you get go to school in finance and mop floors at Goldman's lol.

Sorry of the info was too obvious or incorrect.

#15     May 9, 2013
  6. Petro

Petro

who are you with now?

#16     May 9, 2013