Toronto meetup Sept 27th

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by mcelitetrader, Sep 7, 2007.

1. As long as the Iranian president is not coming to this meeting...
    :p

#11     Sep 25, 2007
  2. mmmarkus

mmmarkus

Unable to make it this Thursday. Hope to make it out to the following one.

mmmarkus

#12     Sep 25, 2007
  3. pbw

pbw

Chicagoboy, I would be intersested in looking at your GBP/US system. Perhaps you could write it out on one page and we could analyse it.

As for my presentation, I will only do it if we have eight traders but preferably 15. So it looks like I may not do it this Thurs --so perhaps we can look at yours in the meantime. Cheers.

#13     Sep 25, 2007
  4. pbw

pbw

Btw, here is an pm I sent to Torontoman. I am posting it here so others can perhaps look at it and start thinking about it so we can discuss it at the next hook up --or even on the forum here.---

Hello TM, I was thinking we could discuss Don Bright at the next hook up. So far my thoughts are I would rather not take up his offer. Don Bright has a good size firm -- and has been around a while. There are many firms like his who would like to give presentations to small groups like we have--as that is what their business is. I would rather myself like to keep the group small with no agenda -- and just have presentations from within those who attend our group. Keep things simple as possible and have a genuine network. Any outside group is free to give an email presentation. That is what my present thoughts are for now. I would also like to hear what others think. We could have a vote of course and make a decision that way also. Cheers.

Btw, I would like to put this post on the forum --so others can see it and perhaps start to debate it.

#14     Sep 25, 2007
  5. I would like to have presentation from those who attend - more from the retail trader perspective - rather then some big prop firms.

#15     Sep 25, 2007
  6. i mentioned earlier in this thread that the CSTA (http://www.csta.org) has monthly events. if there is an interest, we could combine our events. in any event, i will try and make your thusday night meeting.

if anyone is interested, the CSTA is meeting tomorrow from 4:30-5:30PM and then again at 7-9PM at the Strathcona Hotel on York, just north of Front. the first meeting is more formal. we have a guest speaker who will be discussing sentiment indicators.

then at 7PM we have more of an open format, probably like your meetings. it would be great if anyone from your group would like to come by and do a presentation on a system. send me a private e-mail or respond to this thread if interested.

we usually have a good turnout. this is important when trying to attract speakers like Don Bright. Don, if you are reading this, we have an opening for a presentation in Jan'08 (4th Wed. of the month) for our 4:30 meetings.

#16     Sep 25, 2007
  7. I'm glad to come up there, and just to set everyone's mind at ease...I have taught and presented at dozens of colleges, and still teach at the local Community College to people who I know will never become Bright Traders...just as my way of giving back to the community. I will be glad to discuss any topics as it pertains to professional or retail trading, at any level you like. And, hopefully have some fun at the same time.

So you guys chat about it, and let me know the January dates so I can plan a meeting with the OSC during the same time frame.

(Hmmm, January in Toronto...I might have to buy a windbreaker or jacket I guess, LOL - been stuck in the desert here too long to have outerwear).

Don :)

#17     Sep 25, 2007
  8. pbw

pbw

Hello Over invested -- Jeff I believe -- we have very simple and small social hook ups --very casual. No meetings. Our presentations are done while at a little table in a bar. We have little formalities -- just some traders getting together for a drink. I have attended a few talks at the Strathcona -- maybe a couple of years ago. You have a good formal presentations happening. I am actually trying to avoid that formality -- sometimes we have only 4 or 5 traders show up -- and sometimes 15 and more. Personally, I would prefer we kept small and -- little formalities -- so traders can network with each other in a more genuine, relaxed manner--and most impotant network from a trader's perspective. There is no need to combine our events at this point --as it would defeat the purpose of what our simple hook ups are about. You are welcome to attend but I hope you get the point of what our simple hook ups are about. Cheers, Pbw.

#18     Sep 25, 2007
  9. per:
    who knows, maybe it'll be in the 70s, if today is any indication.

will talk with the poster of this thread maybe this week to clear up dates/times. BTW, i'm not trying to hijack this thread. the CSTA is meeting on 30-Jan-2008. the OSC is close to where we meet. your presentation would be 4:30-5:30PM.

\jeff

#19     Sep 25, 2007
  10. Just let me know so I can make appointments and arrangements....I might bring along Rob Friesen who runs our PairCo operation out of BC (I need him to interpret Canadian for me, LOL)...he's helped a lot with the regulators.

Don

#20     Sep 25, 2007