TopStep Oneup Combine J

Discussion in 'Journals' started by caacapital, Apr 2, 2018.

1. 4/2/18 was my first day of the 50k combine blew it the first day trading at times I knew wouldn't work for me. Ill try again at some point. I might just wait for the oneup to trade then if I blow that account up then start the topstep combine again. My SPY options daytrade was good I didnt get all the contracts I wanted to get in but still a good trade.
    My recordings are using pretty boring since I dont sit in front of the screen all day and its complete silence but since I was off today I goto actually talk out my thoughts.

4/2/18 trade recording 9:30-11 trade

after 3pm trading blow up

2. The fees for the combine are peanuts compared to what people pay for an education of some form or another. You could easily be down 6 figures in real money from lack of discipline. You may think it’s wasting money but it’s not. The combines just reinforce who you are and what you have to correct.

3. I agree for me it’s cheaper to do the combines I just don’t want to do a reset right now I have to reflect on my stupidity today how’s I let myself blew a $2k drawdown without actually losing $2k

4. Decided to do the reset Thursday Tuesday and Wednesday I have morning meetings so I shouldn't be trading futures those days. My bias is short for the day at least for a retest of ES 78 using SPY options to take that trade. No economic data today.

5. SteveH

SteveH

It's all carrot / stick stuff. But none of you will listen. It's like the old Willy Wonka clip where Mike Teevee goes to shrink himself and Wonka monotones in an uncaring voice: "Stop. Don't. Come back."

6. How are you determining your trades?

It’s paramount to:

-trade only certain hrs of a session
    -use stops that indicate setup failure
    -larger trend filter
    -smaller trend filter aligned with larger trend
    -wait for counter trend/excursion for entry
    -let profits run if setup validates

7. Ideally i would wait until price reaches my area of interest(normally prior POC, LVNs) and observe price to weakness or strength and take a trade my stops are generic(6 ticks) but normally behind a cluster that I dont think we should travel back to rather than using 2xATR or something similar the reason being that I dont know where price is going and my target usually isnt equal to what a widerstop would be at least for futures for options I can do wider stops.

8. I've personally verified that they are actually giving you capital so given you can pass the steps which i think i can given I've passed the 30k before and currently 3 days away from being able to submit for a Oneup "funded" account paying 600-700 for $3k in capital is worth an attempt . Also I know I am still subject to making revenge trades and hesitation so that also actually saves me more money. Futures is a money loser for me. Topstep is a cheaper option for now. I lost $8k last year and i think 15k the year before that. Its possible to loss that trading topstep but even if you do you will have way more trades and learning lessons behind your belt. I can make excuses as to what the reason for the loss is but it boils down to me I trade when Im bored, get cocky when on a winning streak, hesitate on entries, move stops up to limit loss at the wrong time and hold my stops at the wrong time. I think i have an edge since Im using it in my options trading successfully I need to work on my futures mindset this helps.

9. Do you use any type of directional filter to validate the entry direction?

10. Here's mine, you should explore some type of global filter that you can put on another screen to reaffirm what your reading on the DOM.

#10     Apr 3, 2018