Top Ten Tax Loopholes

Discussion in 'Politics' started by seneca_roman, Aug 8, 2011.

1. I agree that the employer deduction for health insurance is a business expense and therefore deductible. But the loophole is the employee receiving health care insurance tax free.

I think we will see a standard deduction for health insurance. EG, a $10k deduction. So if you receive health insurance valued at $12K you will have $2K of taxable income.

Same idea for the mortgage interest deduction. Maybe allow it for your primary residence, but reduce or eliminate this deduction for your vacation home or boat.

The 401K must stand no matter how hard both parties covet the extra revenue created if this loophole is eliminated.

It's interesting that the oil company and corporate jet loopholes don't appear in the top ten list.

Seneca

#11     Aug 8, 2011
  2. pspr

pspr

Because they are negligible in the scheme of things but it makes Obama sound like the savior of the average Joe. It's part of his ruse.

#12     Aug 8, 2011
  3. The savings rate in the US is bad enough w/ this 'loophole' if you remove the incentive for people to save, can you imagine what that would do?

It's hard enough as it is WITH this tax incentive to get people to save, remove that and might as well just plan on everyone working till they are dead or find another loophole so the gov't pays them.

Maybe that's the idea -- remove the savings loophole(s) and then go find the loophole(s) where the gov't just sends you $ for doing nothing.

#13     Aug 8, 2011
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

Well let me be the one to officially inform you that We do not all agree to pay more taxes!

#14     Aug 8, 2011
  5. Well when fewer people save their money they must be ... spending it? Isn't that what we need right now?

#15     Aug 8, 2011
  6. Ricter

Ricter

So you must disagree with the other righties here that assets, particularly real estate, need to deflate further... ?

#16     Aug 8, 2011
  7. Ricter

Ricter

We don't actually need absolutely everyone. You can be comfortably outvoted and ignored.

#17     Aug 8, 2011
  8. I agree with your ideas here, but I'll bet my last buck 401K's get hit in one way or another for the very reason you state. There's a ton of money there and they aren't going to pass that up.

#18     Aug 8, 2011
  9. Arnie

Arnie

Yep. Check this out.....

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2011/01/te_011911.html

A friend of mine converted his IRA to a Roth and paid a sizeable amount in taxes. This was when they first came out. He thinks he will be able to draw it out tax free as promised. I reminded him that they didn't used to tax SS either. I believe we will see all retirement accnts taxed. Roth or not. You can also expect to see a "wealth" tax. Of course it will start out small, maybe 2-5%.

The "Progressive" mind at work. :D

#19     Aug 8, 2011
  10. Lucrum

Lucrum

Mostly by people who don't pay any taxes themselves. What's wrong with this picture?

#20     Aug 8, 2011