Top Stocks of 2008

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by guru, Mar 16, 2020.

1. guru

guru

It may be too early to start buying stocks yet, circumstances in 2008 were different so this may or may not be useful, whatever, but I quickly whipped up a list of top performing stocks of 2008 if anyone would like to take a look.
    Symbol/company/pricing errors are quite possible since all data is back-adjusted, including splits, dividends, mergers/acquisitions and delistings.

upload_2020-3-16_15-1-48.png

PS. My link above is not posting properly and ET seems to be changing it and wrapping in "MEDIA" tag, so here is that same link split into 2 lines:
    https://docs.google.com
    /spreadsheets/d/1_vvlh01uHxBchIA8kSy88FPxRqJMVabh-IStAn84PIY/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  2. Before market "recovers", the overpriced "darlings" have to come down to earth or just take a good beating....googl, aapl, msft, nvda, fb, amzn, etc (ALL of these techie names) need to be dumped similar to how most looked at the "dotcom stocks" in 2003-2004.
    THEN market can recover into a new phase with new leadership, etc.
    Not possible to make any "recovery" while the DRUNKARDS are still in the bar asking for more.
    I's past closing time and management needs to kick 'em out.
    So...another 30-40% drop and THEN things look investable.
    Not even close right now with many "growth" names still selling at DOUBLE what the value crap is going for.
    That spread has to get MUCH narrower...

korzes and guru like this.
  3. FriskyCat

FriskyCat

Good post risktaker. Those darlings (many of them) haven't even retraced much of the 2019 blow off move. Agree that this needs to happen before other stuff will have a decent base.

4. guru

guru

This list doesn't need to be used today. It's here just as a reference for any time in the future, whether in a few months or during the great depression of 2022.

5. 2008 was a "financial-based meltdown".
    This (2020 China virus) meltdown is affecting different parts of the economy...tourism/some service/some manufacturing.
    So the winners and losers will not be the same as during '08.
    Some of the usual "safer stocks" will do better of course (utilities/healthcare/staples) mostly on a relative basis and mainly DURING the rout on the way down.
    On the RECOVERY side...there, it will be different as well this time.
    Which ones do best at that stage will depend on many factors silly to discuss at this point.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  6. guru

guru

It depends how much you pay attention to details and how many ideas you have.
    Someone I know just used a similar list/knowledge/experience to make 17300% profit buying SLV puts for $0.01 and selling later for $1.73. Said that silver drops when people hit margin calls.
    My list also includes various ETPs that can provide ideas and I already made over 1000%+ on QID options.
    Sure, you can focus on criticizing and not looking for ideas, while others can actually find some gems.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  7. vanzandt

vanzandt

Yeah. I've been keeping an eye on Atlassian ($TEAM) $125.
    22X sales, 90PE, 63XFCF.
    No real short interest either. Still green for the year. I mean they've got huge margins, but I have to wonder how long they can keep growing that top line. I don't see it. I bet its got at least a 20% drop left in it.

guru likes this.
  8. RRY16

RRY16

The internet stocks back then weren’t making $. So I wouldn’t think the ones you’ve named will go down another 30-40% unless redemptions and forced selling get extreme. We will see!