Top Scientist Resigns–Admits Global Warming Is a Scam

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bugscoe, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Top Scientist Resigns from Post – Admits Global Warming Is a Scam
    Posted by Jim Hoft on Saturday, October 9, 2010, 11:35 AM

Top US scientist Hal Lewis resigned this week from his post at the University of California at Santa Barbara.
    He admitted <del>global warming</del> climate change was nothing but a scam in his resignation letter.

The Telegraph reported:

• The following is a letter to the American Physical Society released to the public by Professor Emiritus of physics Hal Lewis of the University of California at Santa Barbara.

Sent: Friday, 08 October 2010 17:19 Hal Lewis
      To: Curtis G. Callan, Jr., Princeton University, President of the American Physical Society
      6 October 2010

Dear Curt:

When I first joined the American Physical Society sixty-seven years ago it was much smaller, much gentler, and as yet uncorrupted by the money flood (a threat against which Dwight Eisenhower warned a half-century ago).

Indeed, the choice of physics as a profession was then a guarantor of a life of poverty and abstinence—it was World War II that changed all that. The prospect of worldly gain drove few physicists. As recently as thirty-five years ago, when I chaired the first APS study of a contentious social/scientific issue, The Reactor Safety Study, though there were zealots aplenty on the outside there was no hint of inordinate pressure on us as physicists. We were therefore able to produce what I believe was and is an honest appraisal of the situation at that time. We were further enabled by the presence of an oversight committee consisting of Pief Panofsky, Vicki Weisskopf, and Hans Bethe, all towering physicists beyond reproach. I was proud of what we did in a charged atmosphere. In the end the oversight committee, in its report to the APS President, noted the complete independence in which we did the job, and predicted that the report would be attacked from both sides. What greater tribute could there be?

How different it is now. The giants no longer walk the earth, and the money flood has become the raison d’être of much physics research, the vital sustenance of much more, and it provides the support for untold numbers of professional jobs. For reasons that will soon become clear my former pride at being an APS Fellow all these years has been turned into shame, and I am forced, with no pleasure at all, to offer you my resignation from the Society.

It is of course, the global warming scam, with the (literally) trillions of dollars driving it, that has corrupted so many scientists, and has carried APS before it like a rogue wave. It is the greatest and most successful pseudoscientific fraud I have seen in my long life as a physicist. Anyone who has the faintest doubt that this is so should force himself to read the ClimateGate documents, which lay it bare. (Montford’s book organizes the facts very well.) I don’t believe that any real physicist, nay scientist, can read that stuff without revulsion. I would almost make that revulsion a definition of the word scientist.

So what has the APS, as an organization, done in the face of this challenge? It has accepted the corruption as the norm, and gone along with it…

2. Eight

Eight

$Trillions behind global warming scam... they are going all out for world government, no?

3. Ricter

Ricter

So the ice is not melting... the photographs are fakes?

4. It may be but to say it's because I drive an SUV and eat steak is quite the stretch.

I on the other hand, have switched to Coors Light whereas you are drinking the banquet beer. You're waayy more gassy than me!

5. Ricter

Ricter

Au contraire, sir, I stuffed the fridge with 28 cans of Coors Light (cold "certified" lol) just yesterday. Yes, yes, the Irish ale is my fav, but one has to watch the beergutline too.

Anyway, the subject line is not talking about AGW, it's talking about global warming (why the strike through?) and climate change, period.

6. not a scam, at least we can't say it is with any confidence at this point, there is sufficient evidence to take seriously that the Earth is actually warming at an alarming rate

7. The Earth warms up every 10,000 and 100,000 years due to the shifting of the perihelion in its orbit around the Sun. This causes icing and de-icing cycles. Now we are entering a de-icing cycle.

Man caused warming contributed less than 5% to the effect. This does not mean we should go ahead and pollute the hell out of this planet. If we continue at this rate of man caused warming we may exceed planetary motion effects at some point.

8. You don't think climatologists have accounted for this?

(Not to mention that the Sun has been in a solar minimum for about a decade and the temperature continues to rise.)

9. conservative here, but the global warming is anything but a scam. Anyone who has enough education and actually does an objective analysis of all the ongoing changes and trends will know precisely what is happening.

The problem is, that everything we do to "fix" the problem will do little but delay things a little. Chindia are going to expand their car fleets, burn more oil and coal, and everyone will argue for a few more decades.

So whether or not it is a scam means little, and whether or not we do things to fix it means little.

Our best hope, is that someone finally figures out how to produce cheap CO2 free energy sources that can easily be rolled out in both developed and developing countries, quickly. Until then, it is all noise.

10. Yes. It's time for a grown up discussion about energy/emissions/cost not how "green" this or that is.

Taking an historical view, the only country to have almost entirely replaced fossil fuels in electricity generation is France. It did it with nuclear energy. The IEA has some interesting charts of electricity generation by fuel :

http://www.iea.org/stats/pdf_graphs/FRELEC.pdf

http://www.iea.org/stats/pdf_graphs/DEELEC.pdf

http://www.iea.org/stats/pdf_graphs/GBELEC.pdf

http://www.iea.org/stats/pdf_graphs/USELEC.pdf

http://www.iea.org/stats/pdf_graphs/SEELEC.pdf

It's pretty clear that nuclear or hydro are the only technologies that really displace fossil fuels in generating electricity. And hydro is resource limited. Other renewables have had, and continue to have a very limited impact.

I've more to say on this, but no time at the moment to do so.

#10     Oct 11, 2010