Top prop firm to top MBA?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by torque, Jul 8, 2013.

1. mokwit

mokwit

Sorry missed that reply - Just read the OP - your situation not so much of interest that I read read every word of your every post.

#11     Jul 8, 2013
  2. drm7

drm7

You may be able to get a job as an execution trader at a big asset manager and get your CFA while you're there.

#12     Jul 8, 2013
  3. torque

torque

That is somewhat interesting, but being an execution trader does not translate into actual research skills. Although the CFA is a good thing to have knowledge wise, it's oversaturated, and not very useful for making transitions.

In terms of my GMAT, grades, and extracurricular leadership, I'm pretty solid on all those. I guess I'm worried about the "curse of the trader" since so many of us have a hard time getting into top business schools. Heck, the vast majority of traders at getco/jump/jane street would get rejected from say Harvard business, Stanford, or Wharton.

#13     Jul 8, 2013
  4. aknaya1

aknaya1

I doubt there is a "curse of the trader". Getting into business school is largely about how you present/sell yourself. You need a great story. You can't just say I want to change careers and move into "xyz" field. All of the elements in your admission package should support and supplement your story--your resume and your recommendation letters. Any trader who worked for a top prop firm should have as good a chance as anyone else of getting into Bschool.

#14     Jul 8, 2013
  5. bschools are full of ex-consultans/bankers/businessmen who can do nothing more than bullshiting.

#15     Jul 9, 2013
  6. I actually think it's a little unusual to be in the position of getting into one of the named firms without being confident of getting into an MBA program. (I did two of my degrees across the bridge and would drive many of my friends to HBS when they flew in for their interviews.) Perhaps you might want to ask on WSO for more color.

Cheers!

#16     Jul 9, 2013
  7. As has been mentioned, you shouldn't have any trouble IF:

1) You do well on the GMAT
    2) Your recommenders emphasize your leadership (if that's what's lacking from your work experience).
    3) You give a convincing argument for WHY you want to attend their MBA program. A change from trading to IB is a very legitimate reason. It's up to you to prove that to the AdCom, however.

#17     Jul 9, 2013
  8. what makes you think that an MBA can teach you the "research skills" you want

#18     Jul 9, 2013
  9. torque

torque

Not at all. They look for totally different skillsets. Top prop shops want smart hard working people; while mba adcom certainly wants those qualities, it's less about raw brainpower and much more about being "interesting" and "different." Top MBA admissions is very much a politically-correct "fluffy" process.

#19     Jul 9, 2013
  10. torque

torque

Well, there is certainly no substitute for actual work experience, but there's 2 factors driving my thought process. First, at a finance heavy school such as wharton or booth, I will be able to take some fascinating finance courses from great profs and be surrounded by classmates who are both smart and had great real-world work experience. In addition to classes, you have tons of clubs such as hedge fund group, investment management club, finance club, etc., where I will be able to go visit top firms on career treks, network with industry professionals, attend conferences, etc. Overall I think it will be an intellectually dynamic vibrant environment.

Second, the firms I want to work for actively recruit on-campus at these schools, so it will allow me to at least land interviews, something I can't do right now. Of course, I have to kick butt in the interviews, and nothing in life is a freebie, but having access is huge.

#20     Jul 9, 2013