Top performing Mutal funds/Index funds/REITs?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by AshanD, Jul 13, 2005.

1. AshanD

AshanD

Hey guys, I'm looking for a good place to put my $8,000 in savings, must be low risk. What funds/REITs would you suggest?

Thanks

2. Anything that is ''top-performing'' is RARELY low risk.
    Not possible to have your cake and eat it too.

3. AshanD

AshanD

True, I should have titled it something else. Out of all the low risk options out there what should I consider?

4. If a 10% drop in value won't bother you much, I'd put into a Latin America fund or index that has no hidden charges/loads.

The problem with any recommendations is, if what is being suggested drops, then what? Since it's not your idea to begin with, you'll be *completely* lost as to what to do. Should you stay in until when? Will a 5% loss still be ok? What if it goes to 10%? Until your money begins to dissapear, it's hard to imagine how you'll react.

5. AshanD

AshanD

Well it's a long term investment (1 year+) so I don't expect to be getting in and out. I'll probably spread my money over 3-4 funds to minimize risk. What funds in particular do you suggest? Or better yet how can I find this info for myself?

Thanks

6. keyser1

keyser1

put it all in an s&p500 index fund. If u cant afford to lose any of it, try some treasury notes.

If u want something with more upside, find a good value stock and put some in there.

If u want an mreit, my pick right now is nfi

7. PTrecon

PTrecon

Better to run a portfolio of funds. Some names Ive traded ----> eds, bbh, ifn, blk, nuv

spread your risk toss the losers add to winners