Top IRS official will invoke the 5th amendment

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Max E., May 21, 2013.

1. piezoe

piezoe

It looks to me like this entire investigation is going to backfire. Turns out the Tea Party tried to qualify as a social welfare agency! :D (Ricter was right! When I read his post where he revealed that they had applied as a social welfare agency, I thought that's nutty. That can't possibly be true. Everyone knows they are 527. I mean they ran a candidate for president for god sake!)

It's hilarious, but I don't think the IRS had much of a sense of humor. I think it is going to turn out that they acted just as they should have and the bizarre questions they asked, under the circumstances of an agency making a fraudulent application, are probably going to turn out to be well justified. The Tea Party clearly falls under section 527, so naturally applying for social welfare agency status would raise eyebrows. There are some idiots running around, but it turns out they aren't in the IRS.

Sadly, I don't think there will be enough to prosecute the Tea Party, but that's what they deserve.

#41     May 22, 2013
  2. piezoe

piezoe

I could not agree more, except I don't think the IRS people are losers. I think that under the circumstances of being asked to administer 72,000 pages of gobbledy goop them do an amazingly good job.

You're right though, the IRS is the instrument of income redistribution which has been going on ever since Reagan, when he substantially raised the income tax rate in the lowest bracket and drastically cut it in the top bracket. And ever since, money has been taken from the lowest segment of the middle class and redistributed to the wealthy. The theory behind this is that the more money you can take from the poor and give to the rich the more that will become available to trickle back down to the poor. It's obviously a brilliant theory. :D

#42     May 22, 2013
  3. Ricter

Ricter

Don't you even go near the "job creators" with your sarcasm, young man. ; )

#43     May 22, 2013
  4. jem

jem

the lowest tax bracket does not even pay taxes...

if there is going to be an income tax everyone should feel the bite.
    It gives everyone incentive to push for more efficient more effective govt.

of course I argue there should be no income tax.

#44     May 22, 2013
  5. When you figure in SS taxes many of the poorest are paying a higher percentage than many of the wealthy. The wealthiest are getting wealthier, the transfer of wealth to the top is working.

#45     May 22, 2013
  6. pspr

pspr

I would have to call that as total BS. No question!

#46     May 22, 2013
  7. piezoe

piezoe

What?!! No big flames yet. I've donned my asbestos, fireproof suit for no apparent reason. You guys are falling down on the job. I was confident my retort to Pad re the IRS investigation would get your hackles up. Oh well, I'm wrong once more.

#47     May 22, 2013
  8. From Bloomberg :
    Top 1% Got 93% of Income Growth as Rich-Poor Gap Widened

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/20...f-income-growth-as-rich-poor-gap-widened.html

CEO Blogger
    “Income inequality of the scale we have today is destroying our democracy,” retired American Airlines CEO Bob Crandall said in an interview. Crandall, 76, says he became so frustrated at what he sees as selfishness among his peers that he started writing a blog on his Lenovo laptop. “Anyone else willing?” he titled his first entry in August 2011, which argued that people should pay higher taxes.

#48     May 22, 2013
  9. jem

jem

the answer to the problem is lower taxes not more taxes.

as you get more govt the govt cronies start concentrating the wealth.

it becomes a smaller pie but it becomes more unevenly distributed.

smaller govt not tax historically allows for more class mobility.

right now our tax policy drives jobs out of the country.

#49     May 22, 2013
  10. pspr

pspr

LOL so you completely ignore the first part and completely BS portion of your comment. You gotta love the liberal mind.

#50     May 22, 2013