Top Gun Software

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by The Rake, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Yes that is true

He might have contracted Leprosy and lost both hands, and therefore been unable to type

OR

If he is from Australia, perhaps wild dingos ate him (or his computer).

I sure hope he is okay. I really do want to know more about TOP GUN SOFTWARE!!!

By the way, in my experience the demo was great but the actual software sucked in a way remininscent of heavy bosons, gravitons or tachyons. In fact, it produced a sucking sound so loud that I had to install a car muffler on my computer.

Best to all.
    Steve

#11     Apr 18, 2006
  2. AaronCapps

AaronCapps Global Futures

I have had a demo of this software and am extremely impressed. The technical analysis aspects of being able to see what the underlying stocks are doing and their sectors can be a great heads up.

#12     Apr 18, 2006
  3. Yes I agree, the demo is nice and the concept is a strong one.

Now if only we could hear from someone who says the software performs consistently in daily use.

Steve

#13     Apr 18, 2006
  4. Peabo

Peabo

Hi All,

I was in the market for a good real time scanning tool. Back in '99 I used SortWizard, which was excellent, except it requires a RealTick data feed.

I am an MB trading client and love the MBT Navigator. Unfortunately, its datafeed doesn't support the TopGun software.

I was told that I needed a DTN.IQ or eSignal datafeed to feed the TopGun software tool. I really wanted to try the TopGun scanner, so I purchased the DTN.IQ datafeed, then downloaded and installed the TopGun software.

Sadly, I (it) has been plagued with problems. I have yet to get it to work successfully. I am not trying to slam it, but I am deeply disappointed with it. I am currently working with TopGun's customer support who advised me to get DTN.IQ's lastest data manager. So far I have been told I have the latest version, so I am currently at a loss.

I'll report back again with an update later, but does anyone know of a good realtime (customizable) stock scanner that I could evaluate?

Thanks,
    Peabo

:(

#14     Aug 8, 2006
  5. Thanks for the feedback. I was just going to sign up for the trial with E signal as Top Gun suggested it over DTN due to more days of tick data available. I think I will wait to hear from you first though. I will be using it for futures, not stocks.

#15     Aug 8, 2006
  6. Peabo

Peabo

Hello dandxg,

In defense of TopGun and DTN.IQ, my situation is not unlike trying to install an application in Windows.

It is expected to work on an unknown level of a Windows OS, on an unknown hardware configuration, play well along side other applications, etc, etc.

I am not giving up on TopGun, because if I can get it to work anywhere close to what it claims, it has the potential to make me alot of money. TopGun is constantly updating its product, as well as DTN.IQ, so I can see the potential for conflicts.

Granted, if it works great, but only 50% of the time, it won't be worth it.

I'll keep you all posted of my progress.

I would go ahead with the trial version you mentioned, because I want to know from another potential user how it performs, especially with a different datafeed such as you are going to use (eSignal).

Thanks,
    Peabo

#16     Aug 8, 2006
  7. Hi,

Could you give me a breakdwon of the problems you experienced with this product. The Pro's and Con's please. Were your problems due to data lag or actual functioning of the TopGun Software. I was trying to contact TopGun earlier today and their number sounds like its been disconnected?

#17     Aug 11, 2006
  8. Peabo

Peabo

Hello,

I recently downloaded the trail version of IQfeed (from DTN.IQ) and of the TopGun software (stock scanner). Once both were installed, I experienced alot of problems with using the TopGun software (TopGun wouldn't load at first, then charts wouldn't display, then the filter feature wouldn't work).

I felt letdown because I felt I finally found a stock scanner that was exactly what I dreamed about.

I contacted TopGun support via email (responded within 20 minutes) and they said I must have an older version of IQfeed's datamanager.

I then contacted IQfeed support via email who responded also within 20 minutes. It turned out that when I downloaded the trial version of IQfeed, apparently I got hold of an old version.

He directed me to their update page where I found the newer version. I downloaded that, and BAM! things were rocking along.

Since then (4 days ago), things have been perfect. I feel both companies are a class act with their software and customer support.

TopGun software requires eSignal or IQfeed. I chose IQfeed over eSignal due to reviews I read on this forum (plus IQfeed is half the cost of eSignal).

In summary, the root of my problems was an older (now incompatible) version of IQfeed's datamanager.

Peabo

#18     Aug 11, 2006
  9. Peabo

Peabo

Hello,

The demo from TopGunSoftware proved that it is the stock screener I have dreamed about, so I now a paying customer.

The DTN.IQ datafeed has been trouble free also, along with my broker MB Trading.

I am very happy with this combination!

Peabo

#19     Sep 5, 2006
  10. sever

sever

Is this software as good as they claim it to be?
    How is your trading going? Good or bad

#20     Oct 13, 2006