Top five regrets of the dying

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by bigarrow, Feb 2, 2012.

1. baro-san

baro-san

You can easily imagine the regrets of the one who wouldn't have those five regrets listed in the article:

1. I wish I'd had paid more attention to what others advised me.
    2. I wish I had worked harder.
    3. I wish I had thought more before acting and talking.
    4. I wish I hadn't wasted so much time (e.g. socially).
    5. I wish I hadn't chosen so often what made me happier.

This article sounds good, and it is good that it makes you think, but nobody ever can really have "phenomenal clarity of vision". Other decisions would've made those people's lives different, but nobody can ever know what would've been the consequences of making other decisions, and picking different paths in life. It could've been worse.

This is the pitfall of thinking with your heart only: you draw incorrect conclusions, and you have no idea you do.

#41     Feb 2, 2012
  2. True, to those who have never done it, it seems that you can't know the correct path and your points are great. There is no way to judge the conclusions incorrect either by the same logic.

In the end, if you are happy almost all the time and peaceful with the decisions you made in your life, then correct or incorrect is not relevant in my view. I guess then point 2 points back to point 1 then.

#42     Feb 2, 2012
  3. d08

d08

That's because they were probably too old and had forgotten those things. A younger man would've definitely regretted not having done at least one those enough, I'll let you guess which one it is.

#43     Feb 2, 2012
  4. I heard "My Way" many times in my younger days when I used to go out with friends, it was always one of the top karaoke songs, so you could see the lyrics. Not particularly my style of music, but it got me thinking about the kind of things like in this thread early on. Biggest take: "if there's something you want to do, best get on and do it, before it's too late." Then when bad things happen, they're not so bad, you are satisfied and don't regret missing an opportunity.
    Let's see if I can remember some of the lines ( (?) denotes I'm not sure, old memory cranking away ):
    Regrets, I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention ...
    I've lived a life that's full, (?)without exemption(?) ...
    What is a man, what has he got, if he says not, the words he feels?
    The record shows, I took the blows,
    (?)and without a doubt, I spit it out (?)

But, much more than this, I did it ... (add emphasis) MY WAY !!!
    A lot of great lines like that. Still a fun song, almost brings tears to my eyes

#44     Feb 2, 2012
  5. ElCubano

ElCubano

wow ...thanks for posting.

#45     Feb 2, 2012
  6. Redneck

Redneck

Given a second chance – there are things I would do differently

And there are things I still want to do

As for regrets – I have none

=========================================

Now I could say the following about regrets;

It is what it is…

Everything I’ve done thus far – has made me who I am…

To have regret – is to live in the past….

To have regret – means every losing trade I’ve had… or will ever have – would cause me consternation…

And all of these would be true….

Instead I’ll just say - here’s to tomorrow… may it be better than today – for all of us

=======================================================================

As for death – tis one of the very few certainties in life – when it comes there won’t be a damn thing I can do about it…

May as well enjoy life while I can

RN

#46     Feb 2, 2012
  7. I don't think regrets are a bad thing, IF it's right after the action or inaction is recognized. Decide what you should do next time in a similar situation and then forget about it, never think about it again. Move on and enjoy life.

#47     Feb 2, 2012
  8. jalee25

jalee25

Nice post.

I could see where someone doesn't really give him or herself a chance for whatever reason. That would be a regret.

#48     Feb 3, 2012
  9. Paddler

Paddler

Been dead once at ED, serious. :D

Now on my "second" life. Just living with no fucking care about sorry and concern. I am I am.

#49     Feb 3, 2012
  10. Sorry , what is ED?

google came up with:
    Ectodermal Dysplasia
    Erectile Dysfunction
    I guess neither one

#50     Feb 3, 2012