Top five regrets of the dying

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by bigarrow, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Those B*******; they killed Kenny!

#31     Feb 2, 2012
  2. MKTrader

MKTrader

While this is a common refrain, I wonder if there's a little more to it. For many, this wish should probably be "I wish I went to med school" or "I wish I worked harder at the first business I tried to start," etc. "so I didn't have to work so hard and struggle the rest of my life."

For many, the problems is not working hard enough at key points in their lives--which made them work harder (doing things they hated) later on. This really started with the Baby Boomers on down--as kids were spoiled more and more, there was less delayed gratification.

#32     Feb 2, 2012
  3. I'm exactly three years away from being a millionaire..

This time next year, it'll be four.

#33     Feb 2, 2012
  4. Just Classic.

#34     Feb 2, 2012
  5. Sadly, one can only hear their own tiny inner voice when all the other sounds that drown it out are quiet for some time. (The drowning is intentional for most I think since they don't want to hear it because of the implications. It can't be undone.) Waiting to die is one of the most quiet times that many of us get in our lives. There is a great fear of death in our culture. That is why they begin to understand and reflect on what is important after their egos are gone.

BTW - I grew up on Pogo and Mark Twain as my very early heros.

#35     Feb 2, 2012
  6. MKTrader

MKTrader

I can imagine the regrets in the coming decades"

"I wish I didn't get addicted to Facebook and Twitter and actually met a few real people or visited some nice places."

"I wish I didn't constantly text on my phone and actually talked to my children while we were in stores, doctor's offices, etc."

"I wish I hadn't spent so many hours arguing with idiots who made stupid comments on various websites and blogs."

#36     Feb 2, 2012
  7. hoffmanw

hoffmanw

Exactly!!! That was what many doctors told me. They were very smart. At their young age they figured out that they didn’t want to have a hard life. They forced themselves to study very hard in their teen and young adult years. So they can go to great medical schools. Now they run their own clinic and only work three days a week. They have very expensive apartment condos in most pricey part of the city. Their kids are attending one of the top private schools in the nation. No doubt their kids will go to Harvard, Yale, etc… later on.

#37     Feb 2, 2012
  8. While I have had a will for some years it required an update so I sat down over the weekend and rewrote it. Given that you are deciding who you want to make more comfortable, the process brings things into focus in quite a direct and interesting way.

Ultimately, except for a volume of Bagehot's political essays, I decided every last possession goes to my wife. With one exception, she was the only one who was there to reload the guns when the battle seemed lost. I never had to consider, even for a second, that she might break and run. It's amazing what you can fight your way out of when your back is 100% covered.

Apparently John Maynard Keynes, moments before his death, expressed but a single regret:

"I should have drunk more Champagne"

#38     Feb 2, 2012
  9. So these guys, in addition to the Hippocratic Oath, swore to:

"First ... do not too much work"

#39     Feb 2, 2012
  10. love it.

#40     Feb 2, 2012