Top Economist: Americans Should Worry About Bank Deposits if Congress Doesn't Act

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Have you ever seen the Federal government of an agency of the Federal government, default on any type of obligation? One example will suffice.

OldTrader

#12     Sep 15, 2008
  2. Daal

Daal

evidence doesn't matter to a scared market. agency debt yielding 6% would never have happened if the market was behaving with logic

#13     Sep 15, 2008
  3. "A scared person pulling out" has nothing to do with whether the Federal government will pay it's obligations.

OldTrader

#14     Sep 15, 2008
  4. That wasn't the question though. The question was whether "the banking system was safe and sound". I said it was up to $100K.

Now, if the market is "scared" as you say, fine. That has nothing to do with whether FDIC will pay off a claim up to $100K.

You need to address the issue...not whether agency paper is yielding more than you think it should.

OldTrader

#15     Sep 15, 2008
  5. Daal

Daal

well the OP is dead right. if this is not addressed this will be bad, it doesnt matter if it should or not.

#16     Sep 15, 2008
  6. My guess would be that they haven't defaulted but in this case it may end up that the only way around the problem is to print money, which they probably will do. Then comes the question of currency revaluation and that I think is rather more complicated if only because there is so much 'funny money' coming from all the central banks. Which then poses the question of whether a return to a gold standard makes sense, bearing in mind that the US government is the largest holder of gold as a reserve asset.

lj

#17     Sep 15, 2008
  7. You all just figuring this out now?

#18     Sep 15, 2008
  8. Right. The government will simply print the money, if it's necessary. That may result in lower dollar, higher gold, more inflation, etc etc. But, there won't be a "default" by FDIC.

OldTrader

#19     Sep 15, 2008
  9. Agreed.

lj

#20     Sep 15, 2008