Top 25 Highest-Earning Hedge Fund Managers 2008

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by rubibond007, Mar 25, 2009.

Times may be tough for most folks, but not for the top moneymakers on Alpha magazine’s eighth annual ranking of the world’s highest-earning hedge fund managers. They took home, on average, an anything but average $464 million apiece in 2008. Four hedge fund managers took home more than $1 billion each. Altogether the 25 highest-earning hedge fund managers made $11.6 billion, making 2008 the third-best year on record since Alpha began compiling its exclusive ranking.

Alpha uses two components to calculate earnings: the managers’ shares of their firm’s performance and management fees, as well as gains on their own capital invested in their funds.

The index below is a guide to the profiles of this year’s top-earning managers. Click on the bolded names below to read the top 11 hedge fund managers' profiles.

Rank Name Firm Name 2008 Earnings
    1 James Simons Renaissance Technologies Corp. $2.5 billion
    2 John Paulson Paulson & Co. $2 billion
    3 John Arnold Centaurus Energy $1.5 billion
    4 George Soros Soros Fund Management $1.1 billion
    5 Raymond Dalio Bridgewater Associates $780 million
    6 Bruce Kovner Caxton Associates $640 million
    7 David Shaw D.E. Shaw & Co. $275 million
    8 Stanley Druckenmiller Duquesne Capital Management $260 million
    9 (tie) David Harding Winton Capital Management $250 million
    9 (tie) Alan Howard Brevan Howard Asset Management $250 million
    9 (tie) John Taylor Jr. FX Concepts $250 million

Next 12 - 25

To read the article, click on Brother, Can You Spare a Billion?
  2. Mr Simons was up 80% net fees which equals 160% before. Only God and Simons know the actual amount of money he made. I wouldn't doubt if he made double the amount that's reported. The entire fund is made up of his own money. The fund is atleast $7 billion in size.
  3. Any ideas on John Arnold's strategy? I understand that Centaurus, his Hedge fund, specializes in the energy sector (particularly natural gas). I understand that he's been averaging 100% - 300% annual returns each year for the last 6 years in the futures market. It was reported that in 2008 he made an 80% return on about $2 billion.

3 John Arnold
    Centaurus Energy
    $1.5 Billion

Energy trading wunderkind John Arnold surged toward the top of this year’s list of biggest earners on the 80 percent return at his Houston-based hedge fund, Centaurus Energy. The former Enron Corp. trader, who manages $5 billion in assets, deals mostly in natural gas, using futures and other derivatives. But he’s also known for his energy-related diversification. His firm has stakes in storage facilities and power plants, and last year it teamed up with Washington-based buyout firm Carlyle Group and Westport, Connecticut–based NGS Energy Fund to develop natural-gas storage caverns. In 2008, Centaurus opened an office in London as a way into European energy markets.

Arnold, 34, has been on a steep upward trajectory since graduating in just three years from Vanderbilt University, where he earned an undergraduate degree in science, and then quickly becoming a star at Enron. He founded Centaurus in 2002 with $8 million.
  5. thanks Rubibond... any info on John Arnold's trading strategy. Needless to say, a return of almost 25,000% in about 6 years is nothing less than absolutely phenomenal!!!!!

6. TraDaToR

He is only 34???:eek:
  7. anjum55

i wish to be one of them, What type of background
    you need to become Trader
  8. Today you need to major in a hard science or math at the masters level to even be competitive. A few years back an MBA would have been suffice. :)

Quantitative skills are the key. God bless Jim Simmons.
  9. yes, I think (not sure 100%) he trade mostly on the OTC and Physical markets.
  10. I wonder what his username is here on ET? I'll start searching the Energy forum to see if I can figure out which one he is:D
    #10     Mar 26, 2009