Top 10 hard-to-fill US jobs

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by a529612, Mar 29, 2007.

1. The avg truck may not get there...but THIS one can...

#41     Mar 29, 2007
  2. blast19

blast19

dand, my reference wasn't about baja California but California as a state.

My wife is actually from Mex City so I've spent a lot of time there...the smog is horrendous. That's what happens when your government doesn't control smog regulations...but it's really not much worse than Houston, Dallas, or Los Angeles from my experience.

Most of the trouble spots in Mexico where you'd get in trouble are places like Cancun because the cops can easily rob tourists...and I've been to Cancun on a few occasions and if you gave me the chance, I might like the feeling of messing with the typical tourists down there too.

I've happily walked the streets of San Miguel, Guanajuato, Oaxaca, San Cristobal, Playa Del Carmen, and tons of other places late into the night feeling safer than in most places in the US I've been. It's a matter of place and time I think.

Mexico is a very poor country. Poor countries usually don't have much in the way of environmental law...I've traveled quite a bit and they're kind of like polar opposites.

#42     Mar 29, 2007
  3. this is interesting stuff

#43     Mar 29, 2007
  4. Not to be overly argumentative, but very, very few mechanics make that kind of money. Here is a link for the national average.
    http://www.indeed.com/salary?q1=auto+mechanic
    Most of the kids that go to the Lincoln Tech, or UTI type mechanic schools end up changing mufflers and brakes at Midas for 25K a year to start. Years ago I did recruit for a technical school, so I do know of what I speak, or in this case write. But yes, a few very bright and dedicated people can make some real serious cash once they have about 5-10 years of experience.

#44     Mar 29, 2007
  5. :D
    Most company own tractor-trailer has a cap around 75 mph.

there is your average joe type of mechanics and there is the special class mechanics for tractor-trailer; big difference;

#45     Mar 29, 2007
  6. Pathus

Pathus

There is a huge shortage of drivers. It is very hard to find drivers who are safe and do what they are told. When I worked at a trucking company they would refuse loads all the time and act like complete assholes and we just had to take it. If they get fired, they will have another job within a few days.

#46     Mar 29, 2007
  7. Wow...sounds like a lot of wannabe truckers here on elite trader!

On the serious side, we encountered heavy traffic on I-75 southbound in Georgia when a loaded Peterbilt plowed into our rear. I was dosing, my wife driving, I woke up to her half yelling "watch out watch out and she saw him coming closer, I woke up to turn around and then brace myself. Long story short...the fucker had fallen asleep!

Most bizarre of all was being stuck in this beyond hopeless little Georgia town for days while we and good old Allstate figured out what to do. The Ford dealer where our car was flatbeaded had a warehouse full of wrecks caused by trucks...."we get um bout once a week around here" he drawled "either they end up dead..or we sell em a car!"

That was 13 years ago and I only imagine it has gotten worse.

#47     Mar 29, 2007
  8. ajna

ajna

Capitalism at its finest.
    If you ever write an autobiography, you need to start with this line!

ST

#48     Mar 29, 2007
  9. skepticaltrader

skepticaltrader Guest

I see a lot of truck drivers out there driving like maniacs.

They're tailgaiting other cars sometimes as close as 1 or 2 car lengths at 70-80 mph.

There is no way that they could stop in time in case of an accident.

Most of the time they think that they own the road and everyone should get out of their way if they're on your back bumper.

I just let these idiots go ahead of me and I try and stay out of their way.

If I need to pass one I usually pass them quickly so as to avoid getting in their blind spot and possible causing a major accident.

The best thing to do is avoid being around them if you can. Either stay far behind them or well ahead of them.

I've seen some of these 18 wheel truck drivers driving as fast as 90+ mph down the interstate. No regards for traffic or anything else.

I thought I had read that they are going to start requiring truck manufacturers to limit the speed of drivers to 65 mph soon to help reduce accidents.

Maybe there is someone out there that knows more about this possible law going into effect soon.

#49     Mar 29, 2007
  10. This was the guy, lol.

[​IMG]

#50     Mar 29, 2007