Top 10 hard-to-fill US jobs

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by a529612, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Lets look at the reasons why?
    Sales Rep...most are commission only meaning most people can't take the financial risk.
    Teacher...Why bother dealing with the little f'n monsters?
    Mechanic...pay hasn't kept up with COLA
    technician...pay really hasn't kept up with COLA
    Management/exec...don't know that one
    Truck Driver...you want to live in a truck for 35K a year? That's what I thought.
    Accountant...stupid f'n kids can't make change. How the fuck they gonna' be bean counters?
    Laborer....If you're a mexican living with 20 other mexicans, the pay is great. Other than that....
    Machine operator...another mfg. job where pay has not even remotely kept pace with COLA. And that's another job long gone to the mexicans.

#11     Mar 29, 2007
  2. I read the same article. They would trade in their motor homes for big rigs and travel the US while getting paid.

That's scary tho. Retirees driving 5,000 lb Lincolns are one thing. I can't imagine seeing a big rig straddling two lanes at 15 mph while on the interstate.

#12     Mar 29, 2007
  3. Those UPS drivers make $60k a year average.

#13     Mar 29, 2007
  4. Don't forget the risk of getting highway robbery especially the truck has Best Buy's logo all over it.

#14     Mar 29, 2007
  5. You work your way up in UPS/FedEx/etc. It will take many, many years before you even break that salary. And you have to have a near perfect record to qualify because everybody and their mother is fighting for those spots.

Besides - it aint easy work. You EARN your pay. Not like #5 - mgmt.

#15     Mar 29, 2007
  6. yeah not too hard to find 'em when they are all parked in Denny's at 3pm for the early bird dinner special.

#16     Mar 29, 2007
  7. mrmoose

mrmoose

#17     Mar 29, 2007
  8. Tell ya' what. Go on down to your local UPS facility and tell em' you want to be a truck driver. See how that works out for ya'. You'll need a minimum of 2-3 yrs experience and zero moving violations during that period to even be considered. The trucking companies that are hiring, the Schneiders, the Englands, the other OTR entry level outfits pay for shit and you'll live on the road to get it. Put up with it for a couple of years, keep your nose clean and maybe you can drive a gasoline tanker locally like my kid brother does. He makes 60-70K a year, works about 55-60 hours a week and somehow manages to stay sane driving a bomb in Chicago traffic all day. No thanks!

#18     Mar 29, 2007
  9. I worked a summer job for them when I was in college. There were punks that weren't even able to finish the first shift. That job will make a man out of you...even out of some women.

Every manager that I spoke with started out in the same place. Maybe not in the same company, but doing the same type of job. Managers there were very intelligent and hard working folks. They are very proud of what they do on a daily basis. Sorters, Drivers, Managers, they all had the same goal.

Haven't seen that again after graduating college. That was a looong time ago.

#19     Mar 29, 2007
  10. blast19

blast19

Any of you ever done a lot of night driving? A few years ago I decided to drive back and forth across the country a few times in the course of a 6 month period....no, I wasn't running meth, but I sure could have used some.

Anyway, those truck drivers at night who actually drive are INSANE! They travel in small herds like cows and keep each other sane. They honk and flash lights at each other to stay awake I guess...and they bomb the dark and deserted roads doing 80mph. Fucking nuts the way they drive those beasts.

#20     Mar 29, 2007