Took out a loan to transition to full-time trading. 24 years old.

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by wabu27, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Overnight

Overnight

As before, there are problems with your approach.

Dunno' what you are thinking, but if you don't have enough money in your account to initiate a position with one lot in CL after suffering a 30 tick drawdown, you should not be trying to trade it. Futures will eat you up and spit you out.

So which is it? Stocks, or commodity futures? You first need to figure out what it is you really want to do. They are totally separate beasts, in case you did not know.

#581     Jan 14, 2019
  2. Visaria

Visaria

Death either way, I would think.

#582     Jan 14, 2019
  3. usrx201

usrx201

I looked a few of your streamed videos. Sorry, but it seems you are often using up most if not all your available margin value of your account leaving very little room for error. Also at this scale (1min chart?) and used leverage it's entirely too risky to leave positions unattended and not using a stop strategy- according to other comments. Maybe you should adjust your scale and use just 1 contract and have a hard stop at 10-15% of your account. And maybe consider a different discount broker that offers margin of 1 CL contract at closer to $1k.

#583     Jan 15, 2019
  4. johnnyrock

johnnyrock

What about the QM? Margin is half as well as P/L. You could trade that until you get a comfortable cushion. Good luck!

#584     Jan 16, 2019
  5. Arnie

Arnie

These type threads are as amazing as they are depressing.
    24 years old. All the time in the world. That's the edge, but they are too naive to see it.

Put $11,000 in an index fund. Find a job you love and add to it every month, no matter what the market is doing. In a few years you have some real money. All the while you have been studying the market and learning. Now step it up and pick some stocks. Now maybe you are beating the indexes every few years or at least not riding losers down. That money starts to compound at a parabolic rate (9% on $11k vs 9% on $300k etc...).

Oh well. Youth is wasted on the young.

#585     Jan 18, 2019
    ElCubano, ironchef, comagnum and 2 others like this.
  6. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

And in the meantime he could grow a career that brings him meaning and wealth.

#586     Jan 18, 2019
    Visaria likes this.
  7. wabu27

wabu27

Do you know any discount brokers that offers this? Margin for 1 CL contract used to be just under $2,000. Oil has been volatile last couple months but current margin of ~$3,600/1 CL contract is ridiculous

What is QM? Can I trade it like 1 CL contract? Is it based on crude oil?

#587     Jan 28, 2019
  8. wabu27

wabu27

I was able to save enough money to trade again last week. It made my capital just over the minimum requirement so I didnt stream (because it might end in a day again) but did record for personal review. Thankfully, things have been going good so far.
    1/24 +216
    1/25 +190
    1/28 +292

Thinking of not doing live streaming and just uploaded the recorded videos afterwards. Live streaming makes my computer slow.

#588     Jan 28, 2019
  9. DevBru

DevBru

Who are you using as a broker?
    According to the their website, the current day trade margin for CL at AMP is 1000$

#589     Jan 28, 2019
  10. Overnight

Overnight

I can offer one, singularly obvious guess... IBKR

#590     Jan 28, 2019