Took out a loan to transition to full-time trading. 24 years old.

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by wabu27, Mar 14, 2016.

1. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

People who think they can trade full time on a small account by definition are bad traders. They cant work through the most obvious risk reward scenario of their life.

#521     Oct 14, 2017
  2. Humpy

Humpy

If I am good, I can quit my job and trade full-time as I've always wanted; or if I suck or am performing just okay, then I'm going to forget about trading for a living and focus on my career to get promotions, raises, etc. I just can't get my head out of trading and watching charts and it's been affecting my career and my personal lifestyle. Everyone who knows me knows I'm addicted to trading so this would be my wake-up call.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That is a quote from the OP wabu

#522     Oct 14, 2017
  3. you gambled and you lost. Anyone can gamble.

#523     Oct 15, 2017
  4. DeltaRisk

DeltaRisk

Maybe, or maybe not.

Clearly odds are against him, and I'd never do what he's doing but..... maybe he's better than me. Only time will tell.

#524     Oct 15, 2017
  5. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

If the odds are against him and the successful payoff only slightly better than a successful and fulfilling career, isn't that a bad trade?

#525     Oct 16, 2017
  6. DeltaRisk

DeltaRisk

For almost everyone, yes it is.
    But, sometimes a guy does come out of no where. It's not our lives, I'd advise against it but as always, it's his choice.

#526     Oct 17, 2017
  7. Better to have a dedicated "escrow" or other account.
    Take loan, pay any fees up front, calculate payments for one year.
    Put this amount into your escrow account to make payments out of.
    If you are down at the end of the year close it out for a loss.
    Figure out your theoretical maximum drawdown ahead of time if possible, this will help you hedge against your losses (including risk of ruin), and scale out your risk.
    Loan fees + payments for one year + hedging positions needed + maximum theoretical drawdown= initial capital needed to enter loan arbitrage opportunity
    View money as a commodity, with it's own cost of carry.
    Don't allow yourself any emotional factors either, view as pure logic.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    #527     Oct 19, 2017
  8. This will make for a good story when you're older

#528     Dec 7, 2017
  9. algofy

algofy

Thanks for the refresh, where's the kid at?

#529     Dec 8, 2017
  10. themickey

themickey

What's the bet LL is the kid.

#530     Dec 8, 2017