Too Big to Fail is a MYTH.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by achilles28, Apr 13, 2010.

1. jem

jem

I am not sure anyone knows. But I suspect as long as there is intervention this real estate problem is going to be around for a very long time.

by the way why would it have been so bad to let these big banks fail anyway.

The quality people in them would have formed new ventures... and we could have fixed the credit problem by just giving every man woman and child in america 50 grand.

#21     Apr 19, 2010
  2. We are still thinking of Capitalism, when it's no longer the case. I don't know what it is, but it not Capitalism. The governments have been playing by the new rules since governments moved away from currencies backed by gold.

The bail out is a new form of tax. Governments would have to go bankrupt otherwise.

Any government that acknowledge the fact it's mismanaged the budget would have to raise taxes. This would mean they will have to step down and give up all the power (simply because people will not tolerate taxes).

Bailout is a new form of tax. It creates inflation and force people work harder to get the same result. The same net effect achieved without raising taxes. As long as people remain ignorant and buy all the bull$#!t that government tells people they remain slaves.

So I repeat: bailout is a way to impose more tax while remain in power.

Those that are "too big to fail" are in the business with the government.

#22     Apr 19, 2010
  3. Interesting conclusion. Do you have sufficient data that WWII was a consequence of the Great Depression? The WWII was the World War, with many nations involved, while Great Depression was purely American. Unless you want to say that US orchestrated the WWII...

#23     Apr 19, 2010
  4. ammo

ammo

don't know if it's fact but in the el doctorow book"ragtime"the inference was that the depression was caused in part by the world becoming a global economy rather than several national markets that were self sufficient for the most part,....not unlike the present where the currrencies,commodities,and products are exchanged en masse,and countries are borrowing billions from each other..,trading debt....,and seemingly no one on the planet seems to have a handle on an efficient way to pull this off...which leaves an opening for the sharks to exploit the government s financial institutions managing the moneyand subsequently ,the lack of laws needed to corral economies,hence offshore,ungoverened pirates creating vehicles trading thru onshore institutions

#24     Apr 19, 2010
  5. Why do you say that the Great Depression was purely American. In fact, it was worldwide. It had a particularly painful effect on Germany with unemployment reaching arnd 30% by 1932. I am not alone in drawing a link between the depression and the collapse of liberal democracy in Germany, followed by subsequent slide into political extremism. You may, of course, disagree.

I certainly don't mean to say that the US orchestrated WWII.

#25     Apr 20, 2010
  6. achilles-san, you are most certainly entitled to your opinion regarding my level of understanding. Thus, no offense taken.

My point about the Great Depression had nothing to do with its effect on the US (there are other nations out there, you know :)?). The downturn had an effect on other countries, including Germany. Unemployment in Germany peaked arnd 1932 and I think you know what happened after that.

My point, to summarize, is simple. Banking crises, if not contained, have a way of "accidentally" growing into political crises. Political crises have a way of "accidentally" growing into wars. Such drastic developments are not very likely, but the losses they cause are painful indeed. That's all there is to it.

#26     Apr 20, 2010
  7. achilles28

achilles28

My bad. I didn't know we're arguing history. I'm not sure Germany is the best example since reparations from the Treaty of Versailles played a large role in the national malaise, discontent and economic turmoil. But in general, yes, I agree, economic crashes can precipitate wars that are used as a political tool of distraction or scapegoating. What I don't agree with, is the notion that crashes necessitate Government consumption (ie Make War) because economies naturally recover losses, create new wealth, which fuels new demand.

#27     Apr 21, 2010