Tony Crabel

Discussion in 'Trading' started by jikodev, Jan 23, 2003.

1. That's what they said about the other Number 1 football team that also has the nickname "Bucks"... just a little different spelling.

:)

#41     Jan 26, 2003
  2. BCE

BCE

It's called humor.
    Are you kidding me with your posts? Get real and get a life. I don't believe you contacted Mr. Crabel and/or sold your copy of the book for $150. If you did either that was very foolish on your part. My post was obviously intended as total off the wall humor and satire for the appreciation of the people on ET who have been endlessly discussing and trying to obtain this book in numerous threads. And it was given in the same way Saturday Night Live or anyone else does humor and satire. It was given with the intention to mock all of us, myself and my friends here at ET, for what I saw as our obsessive coveting of the book and attempts to obtain it. Who would take as serious - "earn a living hyping his book here at ET and then selling them at eBay and Amazon"? Anyone that would post in the manner you have in this thread, as a couple of other people have in other threads with threats of lawsuits, etc., should leave ET and leave the rest of us alone to enjoy one anothers company and feel free to kid and tease one another in a good natured manner as I frequently poke fun at myself. Repeat - GET A LIFE. Just using such phrases as "character assassination" or "pick a fight with a billionaire" seems to suggest to me you don't have much of a sense of humor. Does President Bush sue Saturday Night Live each week for their parodies of him? I don't think so. And Al Gore even went on to mock himself as I was mocking myself and fellow traders with my post. The teasing and mocking was about us not Mr.Crabel who we all obviously admire or we wouldn't be trying so hard to obtain his book.
    If you had read the rest of this thread it's obvious that Mr.Crabel's hedge fund didn't "blow up" as there is a link to his website which tells how well he has done and is doing. And this was also mentioned in other posts.
    And anyone that knows anything about trading knows this. Only someone acting foolishly would fail to see the humor in my post and take my post as real. Why would we all be trying so hard to obtain his book? I mean I said he was working as "a pool boy" for John Tudor Jones who we also discussed at length and kidded each other about trying to maintain a video made about him, also very hard to find. Who wouldn't see this as humor? Please.
    PS The :D at the end of my post shows it was meant to be humorous. You must not be familiar with these types of humorous posts here at ET. Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with them. And the post directly after mine says, "He he he... you don't have the book don't you...
    LOL..." This was an obvious give away to the humor and showed that I wanted to obtain the book too.
    PPS
    From a post of mine a couple of days earlier entitled "I Think I Found the Holy Grail":
    "The other thing is, as far as I know the REAL HOLY GRAIL can only be purchased on eBay and is only available from time to time so you need to track it carefully. It sells for $3,000 with BuyItNow. :D Ha" More satire about all of us looking for "The Holy Grail"
    Lighten Up.

#42     Jan 27, 2003
  3. >>My post was obviously intended as total off the wall humor and satire for the appreciation of the people on ET<<

Well BCE, you certainly fooled me. The way I read the post it appeared factual to me with you seemingly taking a considerable delight out of the misfortune of Mr Crabel.

I also specifically note that you didn't bother to respond to my request as to where one could get verification of your story.

Anyway, you don't have to worry about me so much as how Mr Crabel sees the story which you spread on this website which is read all around the world.

In any event, you say you don't believe one word of what I said so obviously there isn't anything to worry about then. :D

Jack

#43     Jan 27, 2003
  4. Freealways,

Are you just pretending to be a (submit appropriate adjectives here)? You didn't actually sell Toby for $150, did you? Nobody is that dumb..... right?

I'll admit, I can't decide whether you are for real or not. But if you were serious in your posts, all I can say is that learning to do your own DD is part of the game. Consider it an expensive but worthwhile lesson.

Anyway thanks for the posts. I haven't laughed so hard since Alphie started trading real money

#44     Jan 27, 2003
  5. Smurf, you said : "You didn't actually sell Toby for $150, did you? Nobody is that dumb..... right?"

Tell me, if you are in a long trade and then you hear some bad fundamental news and it is obvious to you that the price will drop so you immediately dump the shares in that company and subsequent to that the shares take off North again, would you say that it was dumb of you to dump the shares ?

So what would be so different in the share situation compared with the book situation ?

Cheers,

Jack

#45     Jan 27, 2003
  6. BCE

BCE

You know, you posted your post at 11:49 PM. I wasn't around to respond to it. But the post right after your post asking for verification said:
    "the guy who said that crabel blew up and was living off selling his books on ebay was obviously joking .... crabel didn't blow up, he's alive and well, his funds did extremely well in 2002 particularly the leveraged offshore one, +28% of 180m.
    http://www.iasg.com/SnapshotPT.asp?ID=91
    http://www.iasg.com/SnapshotPT.asp?ID=92
    http://www.iasg.com/SnapshotPT.asp?ID=93
    This was posted at 4:26 AM. And also, as I mentioned, the post right after mine said, "He he he... you don't have the book don't you...LOL..." indicating he knew the post was meant as a joke which you should have too.
    Let's all hope Mr. Crabel has a better sense of humor and can take a joke better than you. We obviously think highly of his trading abilities or we wouldn't be pursuing his book. To my mind he's a sort of legendary trader as is Paul Tudor Jones. And the fact Toby's book is out of print and the Tudor documentary is too adds to the mystery.

PS I won't be here all day going back and forth. I have work to do. But I will check in later. You know, people without much of a sense of humor make their own lives as well as those around them far less joyful. If you'll lighten up a bit perhaps you'll discover this.

#46     Jan 27, 2003
  7. and stupid is arguably a fine one.

I agree, you are right to have reacted to some bad news on the "funnymentals" of your book. But given the analogy you provided, wouldn't it make sense to check your facts? That's what I meant by doing your own DD.
    I don't mean to sound like a prick who is making fun of you 'cause of your loss - I feel for you there. But come on, the things you hear/learn on ET are a starting reference point, not a statement of fact.

#47     Jan 27, 2003
  8. nkhoi

nkhoi

#48     Jan 27, 2003
  9. It is an impressive performance indeed, but careful with the drawdowns, the returns are like crabel's with 4X leverage. It is also curious that the Schindler Fund didn't do well in the most inactive months last year, march, august september. Looks like it's using some sort of momentum/breakout strategy, and it's whipsawed to death in a range.

I would put money in this fund just not all my money.

#49     Jan 27, 2003
  10. I wrote the "He he he... you don't..." post. Even though it's obvious.

I think guys like you should be under examination by the SEC or CFTC.

I can go around saying "MSFT is going to go broke!!! It's been manipulating the earnings report. I heard it from an insider who works for the accounting firm that takes care of MSFT". I can spam the mail above all over the internet and call all my friends who trade and "try" to start a little rumour.

Now if the SEC finds out can I get away with all my spam by telling them, "It was just a joke, don't you guys have a sense of humour?". No, it won't work. Let's say I have a hedge fund and one of the investors in the firm goes around calling the other investors, the firm is going bust. He may have intended to be some April's Fool joke but if actually some do start withdrawing the money, it doesn't become one. Though, it was an intended joke, the results won't happen to be that way.

BCE, you're the kind of guys who disintegrates the whole industry. When something wrong happens, you tell them, "It's just a joke" Just like how kids get teased in school and bullies getting away with it by saying, "We were just playing"

#50     Jan 27, 2003