Tons of Great Buys Right Now - and the Economy (in the U.S.) sucks

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ByLoSellHi, May 5, 2008.

1. I see tons of opportunity in absolutely beaten down stocks with clean balance sheets right now. In fact, I don't recall seeing as many ever.

Even if you assume the the U.S. economy slows further (which is a rational assumption), these stocks are priced cheaply absent some major calamity of a scope and scale that will put us in our shelters, locked and loaded - and that's not very likely.

I'm talking about companies with clean balance sheets, that can retire their debt without breaking a sweat if need be, and that have the worst already assumed about their prospects for the next 12 to 24 months.

The key is to find companies that are not leveraged with debt, and can survive even a relatively severe 12 to 24 month shit storm without having to borrow money to finance operations.

I think it's important to get some international exposure, also (though I'd be leery of India, Mexico and the Gulf States), and it may be time to take the leap into high yield junk bonds just to balance the risk/reward equation.

Muni bonds are looking nice, too.

2. I agree!

Btw, what are you buying?:D :)

3. not trying to sound rude but i think you are a couple months late. risk/reward levels were much fairer back then, but i don't disagree. i think there are more than a few great buys out there.

4. What? No more "get the hell out now" warnings?

:D

5. Yea I am confused too?! Weren't we better off unloading all longs and go all in short just in the beginning of March and then 'buying them back much much cheaper a couple months later'??? http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=119379

6. gnome

gnome

OP knows the drill. "If you forecast, forecast often."

7. The key is to find companies that are not leveraged with debt, and can survive even a relatively severe 12 to 24 month shit storm without having to borrow money to finance operations.

-------------------------------------------------

What if the companies customers are leveraged with debt? This could be the wild card.