Tomorrow...Explosive?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by trade-ya1, May 3, 2005.

1. I am going to mow the grass and put in some tomato plants. The best way for me to handle these FED days is to ignore it and stick with my overall plan. Dead most of the day then a couple rips up then some down.Which way it eventually moves no one knows. I wait till the dust settles tomorrow or Thursday.

#21     May 3, 2005
  2. range

range

Trade-ya -- Great thread you started!

#22     May 3, 2005
  3. Lest we forget...

Rule1 - The Market will do whatever it wants, whenever it wants.

Rule2 - Refer to Rule1.

#23     May 3, 2005
  4. gnome

gnome

"If you're going to forecast, forecast often." ... Old Russian Proverb

#24     May 3, 2005
  5. Nice to hear a gameplan posited for today.

I think one issue that might cause some volatility is the possibility of removal of "measured pace" -- last meeting, the street was assuming a drop of that phrase would imply a possiblity of 50 hike in the near future. However, this time around couldn't it also mean the fed is considering backing off sooner than expected?

Re currencies, it feels like the market is no longer treating the dollar as a single story vs all other currencies; obviously the china reval has led yen acting strong on it's own, but I think at this point each currency will have to prove it's own worth while dollar consolidates. If that's the case, I think there's still a bit of anti-dollar premium that needs to come out of euro as yet.

#25     May 3, 2005
  6. I don't think trade-ya is here to make some one-time prediction to wow the crowd -- from his prior posts, I have a feeling he does something like this every day. If he's right, he will make a profit; if wrong he loses. But I think that's the plan from the start.

Besides, usually by the time you let the market tell you which way it's going, it's already gone :)

#26     May 3, 2005
  7. volente_00

volente_00

Coming soon

Dow to 10350

or Dow to 9700

I think 10260 may be the top, but 350 could be tested before the fall to 9700.

Which offers the better risk/reward from the current level ?

#27     May 3, 2005
  8. nitro

nitro

The FFFs have four meetings untill Oct. The Oct FFFs are showing a price reflecting a 3.50 rate by then. Since the October is not a meeting month, that means that there is one pause in the FED raising rates factored in.

The idea is that if the FED pauses, the FED will probably slow down the rate of increases in later meetings. This, coupled with the fact that Greenspan is retiring in '06, can be read as bullish assuming no other market factor affecting the markets, like a second day spike in oil prices.

However, the one caveat is if the FED removes the word measured _and_ it highlites that with the word inflation. In that case, the markets will probably get pummuled because that means that one or two .50 basis raises could come in between now and the Oct meeting. I really doubt this scenario, but who knows...

nitro

#28     May 3, 2005
  9. Thanks for keeping the thread alive while I caught some ZZZZZs. Looks like my EUR scenario won't play out as expected at least the downside stop-running at this point. I still like the bonds much higher today later on.

#29     May 3, 2005
  10. LOL...yes. And that's why the mayor of Moscow here is threatening to penalize weather forecasters' salaries every time they're wrong.

#30     May 3, 2005