Tom Delay is Done

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ktmexc20, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Pabst

Pabst

I doubt DeLay's announcement has anything directly to do with his legal quagmire. More likely he has no desire to continue serving in a non-leadership role. The same way that many established Democrats the past several years left Congress rather than being relegated to minority status.

#11     Apr 4, 2006
  2. I agree, as bad as clinton trying to get the gov't to pay his legal bills.

NO doubt it's a law that they can use campaign donations for legal expenses voted and approved by congress.

Our gov't is such a scam.

#12     Apr 4, 2006
  3. I just watched Chris Mathews interview him for over a half hour. It's funny how he kept mentioning how he could better help influence republican policies outside of Congress (aka: hall of shame). But, the word lobbyism (registered or not) was not mentoned once.

Hmm... Since he is not only, not running again, but also resigning his seat before his current term is up, makes me wonder if maybe he's trying to worm his way out of Congress before new lobbyism reform laws are implemented, ie: from 1 to 2 years before a member can become a registered lobbyist.

On side note... Susan Molinari is another slippery bitch I can't stand. Once Congresswomen, now big $ lobbyist.

#13     Apr 4, 2006
  4. I find the real abuse to be Member's whose spouse, family members or girl/boyfriends work as lobbyists. Can't beat that for access, which is what lobbyists are selling.

#14     Apr 4, 2006
  5. Right.
    For some reason, I'm constantly hearing a Bob Dylan song in my head... "Everything is broken..."

#15     Apr 4, 2006

6. Exactly. I see where some spouses get 10-15% commission on funds raised for the husband. Come on... :mad:

Looks like DeLay is moving out your way AAA - some rumors that he's taking a job promoting religious interests.

I'd imagine his skills are transferrable pretty much.

#16     Apr 4, 2006
  7. Jack Abramoff praising Tom DeLay at a College Republican Conference.

Clip

--

Found this interesting: Island getaway

The DeLay trip to the South Pacific island, originally reported by a "20/20" investigation, was part of an effort by former aide Jack Abramoff to stop legislation aimed at cracking down on sweatshops and sex shops in the American territory, which is known as the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.

---

Amazed they claim to be Christians.

#17     Apr 5, 2006
  8. That's another interesting issue. The pol's employ their family members to be fundraisers or as consultants to their campaigns, which of course go on all year, every year. There are limits now on Members just putting campaign funds into their pockets. In the old days, they could convert them to personal use when they retired, and the amounts could be astronomical. So they "employ" family members at huge salaries. I believe DeLay made use of this.

A lot of these pol's consider the office they hold to be more like a family business than a public trust. That's why it's so common for them to try to pass it on to their sons,daughters or wives. That's why they see nothing unethical about pocketing everything they can get their hands on. After all, they're entitled.

#18     Apr 5, 2006
  9. Interesting listening to Sean Hannity interview Tom Delay this evening. I think coddle is certainly the better description.

#19     Apr 5, 2006
  10. Have you heard the tape of Delay speaking to those "businessmen" in the Mariannas? The ones who run the sweatshops, force young girls into prostitution and force these enslaved women who get pregnant to have abortions? The slimy bastard called them the "shining light" of our way of life and free enterprise.

Delay is so disgusting, unprincipled, opportunistic and corrupt. And he tries to pass himself off as a religious man. Gag me!

bt

#20     Apr 5, 2006