today's TRIN Spikes

Discussion in 'Trading' started by F. d'Anconia, Jun 8, 2006.

1. The attached chart is a 5 minute chart. I have the $TRIN blackened out so that only the moving averages show. Both averages are simple moving averages of the 5 minute $TRIN.

The white line is the 20 period simple moving average. The other line is the 8 period simple moving average. When the 8 is above the 20, the 8 period average is red. When the 8 is below the 20, it is green.

I also do a similar thing with the $TICK and Futures Price. You have a strong indication when everything is trending in the same direction.

Charles

#11     Jun 9, 2006
  2. just21

just21

Are tick and trin available on Inteactive Brokers TWS?

#12     Jun 9, 2006
  3. kowboy

kowboy

OK. Thanks for the suggestions. Attached are the Trin charts from this moning with sma(20) vs sma (4). Looks helpful and much better than just following Trin itself.

Ib symbols are $trin-nyse and $trin-nasd

Thanks

• trin.jpg
      File size:
      139.9 KB
      Views:
    #13     Jun 9, 2006
  4. just21

just21

Having trouble getting it into IB TWS. Any tips?

#14     Jun 9, 2006
  5. kowboy

kowboy

Sorry this was my mistake. I'm getting it from Medved QT from an IB feed. I don't know how to do this directly from IB. The symbols may be some different on IB directly.

Sorry.

#15     Jun 9, 2006
  6. kowboy

kowboy

trin-nyse and trin-nasd

#16     Jun 9, 2006
  7. Well put. And I'd agree. If the TRIN is going down as the market is going up, I would be more confident of buying. If the TRIN is going up while the market (esp. index futures) is going up, I would be less confident.

On Interactive Brokers you can trigger a trade based on the level of something else, like an index (TICK, TRIN). I've considered putting a buy order if the TRIN hits 2.7. Next time I might well do it.

#17     Jun 9, 2006