Today's Bid

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Beer Man, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Beer Man

Beer Man

Im trying to get some market opinions or signals from today. I
    thought a a relief rally would materialize based on the corporate assurances due today. I am not trying to call a bottom, but see
    promising developments in the swearing of officials, and the possible removal of that dude in iraq.

2. Beer Man

Beer Man

thats even better! i have to get one of those mugs

3. http://www.stonebrew.com/cool/facts/index.html

There are only four legitimate ingredients (water, barley, hops & yeast) allowed in beer according to the Bavarian Purity Law of 1516, known as "Reinheitsgebot. This law is commonly accepted to be the world's first "consumer protection" law. The exception to the rule is wheat, which is used in making a hefeweizen (German wheat beer --- pronounced "hay-fa-vitsen").
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Almost every single one of the beers you grew up with in the US adds adjuncts (rice and/or corn) to their beer to make it lighter and less aggressive in flavor, in order to appeal to the masses. This includes our big US breweries, as well as most European, Canadian, Australian, Mexican and Japanese imports. These adjunct beers would literally be illegal in Germany. Many of the imports actually reformulate their beers and add adjuncts (which are cheaper than barley malt) for the US market. Quoting from the spring 1997 newsletter from the Mendocino Brewing Company: "In this country (USA), it is legal for a brewery to introduce up to 48 additives and 4 adjuncts, and still call its beer "Pure," --- and fourteen carat gold must be not less than twelve carats. Go figure."