Todays best performers littered with 2008 DOGS

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by $CostAverageMAN, Jan 2, 2009.

1. some of the worst stocks of 2008 are the best performers to start the new year....Funny

I ran a screener last night to get a list of the worst stocks of 2008 that were traded on NYSE or NASDAQ.....

some that showed up on the list that are doing well today...

MEG, SSP, ZLC, LVS, MGM, ACAS, FIG, VC, NCX, HLND, XTEX.....

I could go on and on, but this was kind of funny to point out....Any other ones out there? Feel free to post

$COSTAverageMAN

2. CENX, TCK, DNN and the bulk carriers come to mind.

3. GE started out strong. I bought a bunch at the 13-14 range and wrote calls on them.

4. Had to pull this thread back up....Check some of these 2 and 3 day moves out (if you got time).....Were talking about some 50%+ moves on last years DOGS....

DNN didn't show up on the list cause of the AMEX filter, but most of the shippers did....TCK very nice call...(hopefully they get the FDG acquisition done with no problems ... Canadian Teachers Union helped that one move along)...

Just an interesting observation...The Value guys must of had to wait till 2009 started before they could put trash on the books...

The few I played with as the year turned....That paper SOLD TO YOU!!!!

Just an observation people, but very profitable trades were made on this 2008 DOG filtered January Effect...

BTW...I enjoy reading any post on subject around ET, but when I come with stocks like ACAS, MEG and ZLC...Then GE is mentioned as relevant(Nice trade BTW)...You are kind of off subject...Not trying to be rude:D

Not that bad of a public list to start the year!!!!

$COSTAverageMAN

5. You also bought "a bunch" in the 40's, 30's, 20's, etc.

You have been pumping that POS since mid 2008.

You're taking a bath and trying to average down.

6. It's "2003" all over again. :cool:

7. ALL I have to say is when will this strategy end.....

Here are some other DOGS to peak your interest....

LEA, FED, SD, TGB, BQI, FTK, SSCC, BGP, ARTC, HOV, TLB, AHD, TXCO, FBN, MEA, LNET...

Now Most are low priced stocks, but all were down over 90% last year....just amazing what moves are being made...I hope this thread has pointed some of you all into some quick profits...Buying the DOGS of last year!!!!

Great for trades...remember diversify!!!!

Some I have played with are doing what they did last year..

$COSTAverageMAN

8. My dogs (short), most of them rallying against me viciously during the last 10 trading days.

"...party like it's 2003" --Prince

VRSN XCO HOLX TAC TXT PXD CPN LUK RRI CCO SLM CCI MGM RJF SBAC BWA WY SHLD JOE MHK

9. Back to the dumpster for the 2008 dogs :cool: