Today I was informed that my grandma just lost 450,000 rand.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rowenwood, Feb 13, 2004.

1. rolfmao? sorry I don't have a clue what rolfmao is. But that reply about getting her laid wasn't that witty. It's too obvious. The crack one is little better, but crack jokes are passe.

#31     Feb 13, 2004
  2. taodr

taodr

Getting money out of SA is not the problem. Finding someone who you can trust is a big problem. I will give you a hint. You have to get familar with the export trade in manufactured goods. Monies are deposited in other countries where the goods are on route to. South Africans have been doing this for 30 years. In fact this is done by people in most countries where their is restrictions. Iranians are expert at this stuff. Get to know exporters they will do it for a commission. Of course you have to protect yourself with paperwork. And definitely you cannot let your ouma do this.:cool:

#32     Feb 13, 2004
  3. If your grandmother is a U.S. resident then I assume at some point she was living here in the U.S.? As a native South African (moved to the states when I was 4 months old...specifically so that my parents wouldn't have to deal with money issues later in life) with tons of family still there I can only tell you that getting money out is incredibly difficult. It always has been. My grandfather spent a good 30 years or so going back and forth to get money out of there.

I'd try and find a reputable accounting firm in SA that could try and help because I'm not sure how easy it is going to be to find one in the U.S. who knows enough about both the SA law (regarding the any complaints against her current acct firm or the company she had the bonds with) and about ways of getting the money out of SA without getting caught....especially if they are worried about getting paid for their services from the money that they do manage to get out, by the time its converted from Rand. I do know though that there are plenty of native South Africans who are accountants here in the U.S. Perhaps they would be the most interested and knowledgeable in helping with your situation. If you would like names, let me know.

Not sure if that helps but I thought I'd put in my two cents for a fellow South African....

#33     Feb 13, 2004
  4. I would really appreciate the cotnact info for those accountants. I'm in the bay area of California, but anywhere in the US is better than elsewhere.

my grandfather owned the four seasons and some other hotels, in durban primarily. he was fucking rich and now we are poor. my grandma is 87 and grandpa is dead so the tripping isn't possible unless someone else, and other than me, does it. I don't have the time other than during holidays. Even if I can't get the money out of SA but can invest in US or EU assets, my grandmother's financial situation will change for the better.

thanks

#34     Feb 13, 2004
  5. Buy real estate here? I know for a fact many did that in the 80s over concerns about "political change" in SA. They just wired the money.

Also, perhaps you ought to have the situation with your gramma reviewed by an attorney.

Sorry to hear that story.

Geo.

#35     Feb 13, 2004
  6. We did get some of the money here. We have some realty that has appreciated very nicely over the last few decades. Thanks for the pity, I really need it (honestly).

#36     Feb 13, 2004
  7. GFR (honestly)

#37     Feb 13, 2004
  8. longshot you must need pity too.

#38     Feb 13, 2004
  9. Mvic

Mvic

This is a great idea if all other legal transactional channels are blocked. There is a US company that makes these huge Blue water cats that cost upwards of $1M called Gunboat (saw their Tribe at the Annapolis Boat show). They are made in SA. A boat like that you won't even have to pay a captain to bring it across the ocean for you, just pay expenses and you will find a qualified captain to do it. Since their supplt can't keep up with demand you would likely be able to make a small profit on it (especially as it would have been put through its paces, crossing an ocean or two is one hell of a sea trail).

If i had my six pack I'd offer to deliver it myself :)

#39     Feb 14, 2004
  10. fantastic but great. it may be that such a plan is called for. i'll be looking into it. thanks.

#40     Feb 14, 2004