Today 10/24/2008 is it. The mother of all selloffs

Discussion in 'Trading' started by oktiri, Oct 24, 2008.

1. I do, I'm all cash. just watching the bloodbath from the sidelines. I can't bring myself to gloat, this will destroy the retail investor confidence in capital markets.
    even if we recover, it will never be the same again.

This is as big as 9/11

#11     Oct 24, 2008
  2. I think it;'s much, much bigger.

#12     Oct 24, 2008
  3. gaj

gaj

if it destroys the retail investors confidence, that's a GOOD thing.

give it a year or two, and then the pros will start slowly buying things. the cycle goes roughly "gotta own stocks forever", then "no problem, i'm in this long term" to "man, i hope these stocks go up" to "i hate stocks, never want them again, SELL!!!!!".

it's probably exacerbated a bit because of hedge funds being in there as well, but c'est la vie. clear the garbage out of the system.

i unfortunately jumped in a little in one of our long term accounts (got a few between me, wife, kids). i'm looking to put some more on in a crash scenario monday/tuesday.

i'm NOT a good trader in crashes, so i won't be trading today (luxury as doing this on my own), but that's the way i see things.

#13     Oct 24, 2008
  4. Yes indeed....I just bought some really nice long sleeve shirts on a heck of a deal 70% off at Eddie Bauer (for winter outdoor wear) with some of my oil short profits! :D

#14     Oct 24, 2008
  5. kxvid

kxvid

DJIA -1000 contracts for today were last traded at 13 on intrade. It is gonna be bad for sure.

#15     Oct 24, 2008
  6. The last time I heard someone bought something from Eddie Bauer must be the mid nineties when "Ace of Base" were the band du jour.

Are you writing from the past ?

#16     Oct 24, 2008
  7. Good discipline to be able to stay out. There are tons of guys who have had their heads handed to them trying to fade the moves recently. Most of the guys who post in the 'Where do you think the market will go today' vein are of this type - unintentionally invested.

780-ish will be an interesting level.

PS - doesn't the flatline on the ES look strange...

#17     Oct 24, 2008
  8. dude, take a break from the room you rent and get away from your crt's.....get out and see the real world!!! :D

http://www.hillcountrygalleria.com/projectplan_customer.aspx

#18     Oct 24, 2008
  9. gnome

gnome

There is a good chance this is "spot on"... few can now accept it could be such a long time before the dust settles and true value has returned which will induce players to buy.

#19     Oct 24, 2008
  10. All cash? Just a couple a days ago you were boasting about your E/U short?

#20     Oct 24, 2008