To what extent does gut feeling/instincts/intuition serve in your trading?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Golden Retriever Trading, Dec 29, 2016.

1. The vast majority of the time I ever use this is to get out of a trade. Sometimes I'll enter a trade and literally a minute later, something feels really off about it. I don't know what it is, but this overwhelming sense of unease kicks in, and I'll get out of the trade. I don't really make many decisions from the gut, but I place a high value on these feelings to get out.

What about you?

2. big mac

big mac

mainly gut...i reason out from there

3. zdreg

zdreg

90% of my losing trades.

4. qxr1011

qxr1011

zero

gut feeling, instinct, intuition are useful for the developing the method, but when one trades he should use the method

after the trade is closed one should examine it (paraphrasing the bible(?): unexamined trade is not worth trading) and associated with it feelings and if somethings look useful maybe try to incorporate them into the method

but trader should be striving to properly apply the method to the current market condition, not to properly abandon it becouse of some feelings

profitlocker and SimpleMeLike like this.
  5. Visaria

Visaria

I use intuition a lot. Intuition is somewhat based on experience.

A good book on the subject is Trading from the Gut by Curtis Faith.

6. Hello Golden Retriever Trading,

I believe this is discretionary trading and if it makes/saves money, it makes sense.

Yes, there are times I am in a trade and everything from experiences tells me this trade will hit my stop when I discretionary trading. Sometimes, I get out and sometimes I stay in and try to be disciplined and get stop out. In my head I am thinking "wow, glad I got out of that" if I save money, but if I miss money I think "you see, you should have followed your plan and you would have made money".

To gain valuable experience, everyday during market action in the early morning, I try to watch the markets I trade so i can make predictions, then see if i am right.

Gut counts, but gut should be tested as well.

7. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Yeah, been there too.

Eventually I needed to do some "statistical analysis" of those trades I exited via intuition to determine if there was any merits to the early exits. The stats held up and supported my decision for the early exits but I would then need to determine if I was or was not seeing something in the price action via "experience" that I had not prior incorporated into the exit strategy.

Thus, I agree with you, intuition should be tested and it can shed light on if its really intuition or just plain old "experience".

victorycountry likes this.
  8. Handle123

Handle123

Zero to get in and zero to get out.

algofy and victorycountry like this.
  9. Zero "gut feel" in my system, as it runs fully automated. No fear, greed, anxiety, regret, elation, stress, or self-sabotage, either.

lovethetrade, algofy and SimpleMeLike like this.
  10. nonlinear5,

At a time(t) I want to trade just like this.

#10     Dec 29, 2016