To Throw in the Towel or Not to Throw in the Towel

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by ProgrammerGuy, Apr 20, 2007.

1. feb2865

feb2865

You know, I've been trading for a very long time and I came up to a point that trading became an obsession. Especially when you're looking for the infamous "edge" whatever it is. Seems like you aiming for an automated trading as you "edge"

I got really obsessed with the markets. I remember I was trying all kinds of indicators know to man and I even coded one.

When I realized that the problem was not the market, or whatever I was trying to put together to squeeze money off it, but ME I gave up. I realize that I have a family, friends . ect...I mean, you get swallowed by this trading universe and all of the sudden you're framed . believe me that's dead-end road.

I came back to trading after one year and I've been on the profit side since

when you're burned out is a MUST to pull yourself away from the screen for a while. It works.

I am not implying that you don't know what you're doing. Maybe you're an experienced trader who's consistently profitable. I don't know the reasons for you to get an automated strategy, but why don't you make it a side project instead???

I don't know you reasons to be on the markets, but if is to make money and you have a system in place, put more attention to it and as I mentioned before, make the automated thing a side one. Release the pressure and who knows maybe you get it done quicker that way.

Peace

#11     Apr 21, 2007
  2. I agree 100%.

And even if you can find that edge, it won't last for long. So, you could very well program something that could win, but only for a short time and then back to square one.

#12     Apr 21, 2007
  3. See there's another question... so when you get it... when you are able to program something that wins over time, eventually the profitability will decrease and you'll have to come up with someone else.

Is trading like learning languages, they say that the 2nd language is the hardest, but because you already know how to learn languages the 3rd, 4th, etc are much easier. Once are you able to come up with profitable stratgies, is it easier to come up with other profitable ones...

But wow I hear all you guys say how much time it takes to be able to beat the market... geez you really have to grind it out eh

#13     Apr 21, 2007
  4. infooo

infooo

best is to start young but

when young you don't know you are supposed to start

#14     Apr 21, 2007
  5. Dustin

Dustin

I don't know how much experience you have trading, but if you have never manually traded profitably, then finding an edge that can be automated will be very tough. If this is the case I would suggest actually trading full time but small size until you find an edge. With some experience you will have better ideas to program and stop relying on packaged indicators or trend systems etc.

#15     Apr 21, 2007
  6. skepticaltrader

skepticaltrader Guest

You could apply for this position with Tradestation if you're interested.

EasyLanguage Engineer – Richardson, TX
    Our Richardson, Texas branch office is seeking a qualified, creative EasyLanguage Engineer to help design and develop technical analysis studies and trading tools using our proprietary development language called EasyLanguage®. Support our large and growing online community at the TradeStation Securities support web site via the EasyLanguage discussion forums and wiki. Provide technical assistance to active and institutional traders to translate their trading ideas and approaches into customized studies and automated trading strategies in EasyLanguage. Help advanced users and third-party developers extend the capabilities of EasyLanguage via C++ DLL’s, including algorithmic trading solutions. Develop EasyLanguage studies and other tools for inclusion as built-ins with the TradeStation software. Assist in the education and training of new EasyLanguage users.

Required:
    Bachelor's degree in a technical discipline. Solid experience in technical analysis and EasyLanguage. Excellent written and oral communication skills. Series 3, 7 and 63 licenses (or such licenses must be obtained within 90 days). Willingness to relocate to the Dallas metropolitan area.

Preferred:
    Trading experience in the financial markets (equities, futures, options, forex). Experience in C++.

http://www.tradestation.com/aboutus/current_openings.shtm

#16     Apr 21, 2007
  7. Dustin,

Thanks for the reply. No, I have never traded manually. The thing that I feel (and I'm sure I'm wrong) is that if you are trading manually you have to have a set of rules by where to buy and where to sell. What I don't understand is why can't you just take those rules and program them and see how the rules do on historic information.

#17     Apr 21, 2007
  8. "What I don't understand is why can't you just take those rules and program them and see how the rules do on historic information."

That is what you are doing while you are watching the market - processing rules in your head and filtering them based on your experience and what is happening at the moment.

But the amount of information you will have to process can be significant. A good setup at one point might not be good at another point because another variable has come into play. Your mind and experience may catch it immediately, but unless you have programmed your code to account for and weigh the potential impact of that additional variable, the automated system will make a flawed conclusion. Your own conclusion may be flawed too, but you have the opportunity to make a last second course correction while the code does not. AI systems may be different but I don't have experience with those.

#18     Apr 21, 2007
  9. I trade manual, and you better have a rigid set of rules to trade by. There is some subjectivity as to where to draw my S/R zone which don't lend themselves to automation.

#19     Apr 21, 2007
  10. wave

wave

Success seems largely a matter of holding on after others have let go.

Six months, you've barely gotten your feet wet. Took me five years, put it all on the line with wife, 2 little ones and fat mortgage. Five years of relentless hours fulltime searching and testing, searching, testing. Picked up some golden nuggets from others along the way, researched them, made them better then boom I got it. Been a long hard road but well worth it now. Rome was not built in a day and in this venture you may never see the day to see Rome be built. That is the risk. Some will have figured it out some may never regardless of time and effort. You need to keep that last statement in mind and be okay with it emotionally.

If you think you are on to something, best to get back a salary, take pressure off and continue studies in the wee hours of the mornings.

All the best and good luck.

#20     Apr 21, 2007