To the Moderators

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by dbphoenix, Dec 19, 2003.

1. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

Meet me at the tavern, you know our usual one down the street LongShot....I hate to drink alone......:D :D

#31     Dec 19, 2003
  2. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

You can move this down here if you like, but I intend to report every TOS violation I find right up at the top until the moderators start taking action on them. If that disturbs you, then start moderating.

#32     Dec 19, 2003
  3. LET'S PLAY GUESS THE ET MEMBER.............

here i go: wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah (x 3280 posts)

answer: dbphoenix

#33     Dec 19, 2003
  4. ...you are no fun at all. I thought that you and I were doing just great killing stupid threads and silencing idiots with our thread clogging techniques without calling in the cops. Where am I going to post now? You have left me homeless and on the street. What was Abbott without Costello? Martin without Lewis? Marc Antony without Brutus? I may actually have to go TRADE! Exeunt all!

#34     Dec 19, 2003
  5. Where were you when mr. market was pimping his website on every other post? Or is this something new?

Let's hear it for the new town crybaby, pt. pigeon!

#35     Dec 19, 2003
  6. ....the anagrammatic Sylvain Garnea returns with his lame-assed "pt pigeon" jest. Please at least change your now stale monologue when you change your alias. Also, let me recommend that you attack the Phoenix at a more intellectual level. Engage him where he lives, in a debate on mechanical system development. I would love to see someone take him down a notch or two, since I haven't been able to best him in a debate yet.

#36     Dec 19, 2003
  7. Andre

Andre

Quote from dbphoenix:You can move this down here if you like, but I intend to report every TOS violation I find right up at the top until the moderators start taking action on them. If that disturbs you, then start moderating.

Well, that would be pretty lame. Careful what you wish for... I've found that blanket enforcement of any standard brings on a big brother atmosphere that stifles community pretty quickly.

I've seen your comment in another thread about enforcing the rules we have. I've thought to respond, because I've addressed that complaint many times in my time managing community online, but I've been sick for about a week... so I haven't gotten to it.

You are aware that our mods are volunteers, right? And that we either trade for a living or have jobs that mean we're not online all day. So surely you know that we can't possibly read every single post and thread.

But let me try it another way... how many people break the speed limit while driving, and don't get a ticket. If there's no cop there to see it, did they break the law or not? If a cop pulls over only one out of a group of speeders, is that inconsistent enforcement of the law?

Now, it is true boards can be managed retroactively, we can find these things after the fact and take action, because the posts are still there. But so much of this has to do with time and energy. The worst offenders get dealt with.

And really, there are several people I find most annoying. But do you delete/ban them just because they are annoying? I don't think that's fair. I don't know about all these horrible TOS violations, but I do know that when I see some of the regulars getting into it, it's usually pretty even. I don't care who started it. Do you ban 'em both.

I do wish people would just grow up. And folks who don't trade would find another forum, there's loads of the out there. But online community is also quiet cyclical.

André

#37     Dec 19, 2003
  8. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

If you like, Andre, you're being pretty lame yourself. Moderators are volunteers? So what? If a moderator doesn't have time to do the job properly, he shouldn't be doing it at all, since there would likely be very little difference. Crap that one didn't pay for is still crap.

As for the violations you don't see, why not? If you can't read the threads in your own forum, then do a search. For example, do a search on "shit". Gee, ten posts today, so far. And who's name pops up most often? Seems like a duh to me.

As for action being subject to the whims of "time and energy", either you're going to enforce the TOS or not, and since no one is willing to do anything about the aliases, there's no other choice. If you're not going to enforce the TOS, then stop pretending that it matters and we'll all forget about moderating entirely.

Just let us know, moderators. And make it real clear so that the advertisers know what to expect as well.

#38     Dec 19, 2003
  9. Surely, you jest!

How can you debate someone who never sticks his neck out to offer intelligent market insight? In over 3000 posts, this pigeon has NEVER contributed anything to the subject of trading here on ET. I would love for him to name a ticker symbol, or even a recent trade he made, and talk about it, or debate it as you say.

But I can't. Why? Because pt. pigeon NEVER talks about his trades (maybe they're not there to talk about)?? Meanwhile, i've described positions in the market I've taken ad nauseum.

The difference is clear. One of us is on ET to talk trading (me), and the other is here to whine about TOS. Unfortunately, TOS isn't a ticker symbol.

#39     Dec 19, 2003
  10. Pigeon, its time for you to hit the bars. Have many drinks. And come back monday talking stocks, not crying about TOS on a website you have no ownership in.

#40     Dec 19, 2003