To some, Theranos lawsuit shows scary side of buying stock in private companies

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, Dec 8, 2016.

1. RRY16

RRY16

Draper is still trying to spin it.

#51     May 17, 2017
  2. S2007S

S2007S

Way too many unicorns out there....all that extra fun money from the printing press had to go somewhere and some of it went to Theranos....ooops

#52     May 17, 2017
  3. dealmaker

dealmaker

That then can be construed as FOMO investing or SILO thinking. Of-course this happens on Wall St too.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    #53     May 17, 2017
  4. dealmaker

dealmaker

""

#54     Feb 6, 2018
  5. ironchef

ironchef

No different than us traders?

#55     Feb 8, 2018
  6. ironchef

ironchef

Similar to Taleb's model on options trading hunting for Black Swan.

#56     Feb 8, 2018
  7. RedDuke

RedDuke

How is it even possible??? Their product is a fraud that did not work.

#57     Feb 8, 2018
  8. Sig

Sig

In fact the term "real options" is used quite a bit in that industry and the thinking is very much as you describe. Heck, your analogy is good on a couple levels because the industry is also full of brilliant people you can learn from who can be unnecessarily arrogant, obnoxious assholes at times!

#58     Feb 8, 2018
    ironchef likes this.
  9. ironchef

ironchef

I am not familiar with this company but are you sure their products did not work?

Perhaps they just did not work well consistently or did not work in all cases? Is it that different from a FDA approved cancer drugs that could extend life by a few weeks or months for selected patients only?

#59     Feb 8, 2018
  10. RedDuke

RedDuke

I followed the story very closely as I love such rare success stories. But it was all fraud. She claimed to invent the device that could run all kind of blood test from just a little bit of blood drawn from finger tip. They ended up producing hoards of incorrect results, and then tried to cover it up by doing conventional blood test, all along lying to everyone about their "fake" product. It baffles me that she is not in jail.

#60     Feb 8, 2018