To Short Or Not To Short

Discussion in 'Forex' started by FXsKaLpEr, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Seth--I though you were immune to fx corruption, is it a sudden change of heart?

#41     Sep 19, 2005
  2. not sure exactly what crosses you are in but I suspect if you do not have stop loss in you will have less profit than from Friday close
    GOOD LUCK

-Position rules! I have been building it
    since yesterday, and it keeps going
    up and up in Euro terms.-

long EUR
    long USD
    short GBP
    short CHF
    short JPY

:)

#42     Sep 19, 2005
  3. Thanks. Just closed the trade @ 1.2105. (cash market - we use the futures data and trade the cash :D ) No need to be too greedy, waiting for a new opportunity now.

Maria

#43     Sep 19, 2005
  4. nice trade

futures volume sometimes is as good indication
    as any to us little guys as to what large buys and sells hit the FX tape ...

... by the way ... you were short EUR into the weekend?

gosh ... was it going your way late friday ?

I would have been nervous to have a position on in front of a news item weekend

-Thanks. Just closed the trade @ 1.2105. (cash market - we use the futures data and trade the cash-

#44     Sep 19, 2005
  5. ok ... did anyone else know this ?

saw this on the wires .... thin markets sometimes do weird things esp if there is news

-There may be less currency trading than usual today because Japanese and Hong Kong financial markets are closed for holidays.-

#45     Sep 19, 2005
  6. Went short early after the start of the Globex session on thursday evening when the price hit the upper band of the downwards channel. There was also an election in New Zealand and that one also shaped up to be a cliffhanger, much like the German election. We were expecting a similar outcome in both cases as the last US election where in all cases the candidates are trying to appease the public. This means that their campaigns focus much on the same issues and that in turn results in evenly spread voting :) . This results ofcourse in about the worst possible outcome. We also belief that the market is fundamentally weak seeing the lack of enthusiasm for the Euro to get stronger and the enthusiasm for the USD to keep on rising. When one plays the longer swings then a gap is not too worrisome. Dad experienced same when Sept 11 happened (he was in a Jap Yen - USD trade at the time). We know that there are moments that governments want to "punish" the speculators (like with the Jap Yen) but these things normally announce themselves and that is what one has "crash stops" for.

Maria

#46     Sep 19, 2005
  7. Maria--your instincts were spot on

Good trade.

#47     Sep 19, 2005
  8. KS96

KS96

A couple of legs of this position hit the stops.
    Overally, I am still plus though.

#48     Sep 19, 2005
  9. well, about the only think I can jump up and down about is my USD/CHF long(s).

been getting money faster than I can open/close/open positions!

suddenly the whole world LOVES the USD??

must be a hurricane-related mania.

#49     Sep 23, 2005
  10. KS96

KS96

same here :)
    stopped out from my short position yesterday @ 1.2756
    and switched to long at the same level

It feels like short covering though... i will be taking
    profits soon.

#50     Sep 23, 2005