To profitable traders: How do you feel?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Kastro_316, Nov 14, 2005.

1. There's a buy & a sell in every trade that I close. BTW, you're entitled to your own perceptions about trading. I'll keep mine, ty.

#31     Nov 15, 2005
  2. dac8555

dac8555

Ok. lets play a word assosication game....

Blue...........RED

Left...............RIGHT

Long.............SHort

Buy................?

not selling??? how are we not selling?

#32     Nov 18, 2005
  3. I love trading. It's part of how I get to fully experience a wide range of feelings.

I start each day anticipating a profit and fearing a loss.

It doesn't surprise me when I have a loss and when it happens I don't mind, if I traded properly. (The definition of which is too long to post now and like the rest of this post, is highly subjective). Sometimes I feel let down by profits too, I want more; classic greed.

But since you ask about feeling I’ll try to get more specific:

I think I now crave fear and that has enabled me to trade better.
    It's part of the well balanced trading diet.
    Rather than hide from and avoid fear, I just feel it as a physical sensation.

Accepting and feeling the fear, maybe even enjoying it has helped me adhere to my tactics and execute trades more effectively.

Discipline is also a once unpleasant feeling that I currently crave.

As with the fear, choosing to get into the feeling of wanting to bail on a trade or circumvent the systems and just getting into the feeling and concentrating on it has also improved the bottom line.

It is somewhat analogous to pain in athletic efforts. When I train, it hurts eventually that pain becomes a sort of stimulant once it's fully accepted and integrated...

Above all, I have flexible expectations of how the market will behave on any given day. I wait until the trade comes to me or I initiate...

I'm wrong, I'm right, I'm free to change my mind. The market will show me what it's doing, I'm free to just respond or not.

Why did I get into trading in the first place? For the freedom.
    I now embrace the free feeling. As a result I'm in and out more easily with discretionary trades and more comfortable with my automated systems P/L. I'm free to improve the systems or to let tem run.

This is all a repetition of what's been said all over this board but when it clicked it became a game instead of a struggle.

Psychology is key. I pay attention to how I feel when things are working out and when they are not. You probably already know exactly what to do too.

If you like, check out seykota.com it deals almost entirely with feelings.

I hope this helps.

#33     Nov 18, 2005
  4. pismo10

pismo10

#34     Nov 18, 2005
  5. I crave that feeling as well. Profitable trades are boring, they mean little and don't impact me at all. Its the fear in losing trades that keeps me in this buisness. I honestly like dealing with that emotion, I'm not sure if it is healthy... but, I look forward to being proved wrong in my trades, I like knowing that I will always lose a certain amount on a daily basis. That's the comfort for me, losing more means I'm making more (risk is proportional to reward and all that garbage). Handling fear well has a lot to do with it IMO. Learn to love the fear...

#35     Nov 18, 2005
  6. Only when you can balance a tackhammer on your head, will you be able to head off your foes with a balanced attack... ;)

#36     Nov 23, 2005
  7. This place is full of adrenaline addicts!
    :eek:

#37     Nov 23, 2005