To IB Management

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by nitro, Mar 28, 2004.

1. nitro

nitro

Ugh,

I see I am going to have to explain this a million times.

IF IT DOES NOT RUN AT THE BROKER, I CAN SIMMULATE ANY PART OF WHAT LOOKS REAL AND IS NOT IF IT RUNS ON MY MACHINE.

If you have read the posts above where I respond, you would see what I am saying.

Read def's reply. This "capacity" is already in place at IB for institutional clients.

nitro

#31     Mar 28, 2004
  2. Poseur's don't get clients, and money manager's get clients thru wirehouse/buy-side employment <or> thru verified track record. This idea is childish.

riskarb

#32     Mar 28, 2004
  3. Take my advice...program or free-up a hotkey. (next to the trading statement one) maybe not....sheeesh tonight or tomorrow when your trading you might enter a word in the #of contracts field. I do not know what IB would do with that one.

you might go long woodie and prematurly exit with a hottcomm...

Michael B.

#33     Mar 28, 2004
  4. What a stupid thread and what a stupid suggestion.

How about IB work on making their platform more stable and more functional. How about work on the trading part of it.. and not on the bullshit part.

Sometimes I wonder if any people here actually trade.. or are they all looking for some type of holy grail or mentoring crap.

Trust me.. the people that IB really care about are the serious traders not the pikers looking for some holding the hand guidance.. Why should IB listen to this non sense if the real traders that actually do this to make money demand better stability and a real trading platform.. not java.

No matter what u see, read, or hear.. it will not make u a profitable trader...

--MIKE

#34     Mar 28, 2004
  5. No matter what u see, read, or hear.. it will not make u a profitable trader.

I could not disagree more....but each persons journey is individual and from within, I would agree.

Michael B.

#35     Mar 28, 2004
  6. def

def Sponsor

risks: network, security (i.e. need to control who can log in, when, lifetime of passwords, etc). All probably easily overcome. As I said, I'll bring it up but I think there are numerous projects on the queue that will be more rewarding to the overall active trading client base and to the firm and thus receive a higher priority.

In any event, you can certainly spend the time to create code to fake things but.... if anyone is watching the markets live, they'd be easily exposed. ie. you can't say buy 1 ES at price X when it is trading at Y. If the idea was to mentor, then I think placeware or something of the like would be a good place to start. To be a successful mentor, you'd have to be a really good snake oil salesman or have a reputation built upon success and trust. I don't think the latter have to worry about potential clients wondering if their trades are real.

#36     Mar 28, 2004
  7. nitro

nitro

You are wrong. There are lots of people that go into chatrooms and get taken. There are lots of people that sell systems that are garbage. There are lots of people that call you on the phone with a "great tip." There are vendors that come to this site and don't know the first thing about trading and have set themselves up as "educators."

If you are unaware of this, you don't know what you are talking about.

nitro

#37     Mar 28, 2004
  8. nitro

nitro

Well,

I agree with making IB a better platform. It already serves me pretty well, but I cannot object to making it better.

As far as this thread being childish and stupid, even with that there is some truth. It is the sad truth that the industry we are in contains so many brutally dishonest people, and the measures that need to be taken to bring honor to a profession often look stupid and childish. Ask anyone at the SEC or people like Elliott Spitzer if their work does not remind them of babysitting a bunch of kindergarteners.

It makes the work no less critical.

But make no mistake, there is nothing stupid or childish about requiring greater accountability in this business.

if you object to that part of it, then you don't know what you are talking about.

nitro

#38     Mar 28, 2004
  9. nitro

nitro

def,

These issues have already been thought about by the same service rendered on the institutional side.

Adapting that code, as your intution suggests, would not be that hard.

I agree. My guess is it will never be implemented :(

True. It may even work...Hmmmm....I think for 90% of all vendors, it would be hard for them to get around the program. Ok, I am satisfied that this is a short term solution.

It is interesting though that in the institutional world, but people whose reputations are ten-fold what they are at ET or other similar venues, that clients require this kind of accountabilty.

Well, the problem is that many of these people get their money up-front. I am talking mostly about the chatroom operators, but I see your point.

nitro

#39     Mar 28, 2004
  10. prophet

prophet

Most of this can be done using a third party TCP server and client application.

The server will…

Query the TWS API for current positions, get advised when trades are made.

Accept clients to connect and authenticate to a bound TCP port.

Broadcast information at regular intervals to clients.

The client will…

Connect to the server’s port, reconnecting repeatedly if connection is lost.

Display positions and trades.

Execute trades locally if desired.

I wrote a server that does most of this, allowing ordinary telnet clients to connect and receive system status messages, positions and data integrity. Its about 300 lines of C++ code. Any VT100 compatible telnet client can connect and authenticate, though it’s not encrypted yet. I need to get around to implementing SSH or route it through SSL.

I’ve attached the public domain code I modified to do this…

Anyone want to write a comprehensive app to do all of this, plus encryption?

#40     Mar 28, 2004