To everyone who wants to quit their job and trade full-time

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by jackson1234, Mar 10, 2010.

1. #31     Mar 28, 2010
  2. RedDuke

RedDuke

Until recently intra day used to be the same as overnight. It has been halved, which is great for day trading since there is no need to keep 17k-20k per contract on the account.

#32     Mar 29, 2010
  3. What do you use if you dont use charts?
    thanks

#33     Mar 29, 2010
  4. lzxgz

lzxgz

I totally agree with what you said. This is actually exactly what I am doing.

#34     Mar 29, 2010
  5. Syprik

Syprik

Would also put in a recommendation for the K200 on the KSE.

I'm based in Denver, CO (MST), full time Globex trader (ES), and the K200 is a great "catch-up" substitute for days I need to take off during the 730am-200pm MST session. Currently runs at 6pm-12am (MST), which for me is as ideal as it gets. Up through late fall 2009, any AH trading I utilized the DAX (530am-730am MST) or the ES from ~830pm - 11pm (MST) when Tokyo was back online from lunch. ES within that time frame was productive for me up through ~June/July 2009. Unfortunately it turned zombie on me, so I had to pick up the slack elsewhere.

I trade K200 via IB. FWIW, look at it with a 3 & 15min lens and typically trigger 1-3 trades per session on the rare occasion I trade it. Generally taking targets in the 5 to 12 tick range and don't touch the opening 30mins. VWAP and respective std deviations are often in play. Market order slippage, as others have stated, is minimal. 99.9% of traders here can comfortably drop their required size @ market if need be. Liquidity significantly better than YM/NQ (at least last I checked...ages ago). It's not an ES/DAX highF scalper type wet dream IMO. For the most part, feels like you're trading against human execution or non-predatory HALDots.:p

As others have asked, please do not PM how and why as I won't answer. Keep it in the thread for all to read.

#35     Apr 1, 2010
  6. I know this is an old post but I recently got into trading, although I can't quit my job yet, I would love too. I became a Civil Engineer out of just getting a diploma and am miserable. Money is decent but not nearly enough to change the world.

I would be interested in learning it all and especially trade overseas!

Let me know if you can help!

#36     Nov 29, 2013
  7. schuler

schuler

Hmm, K200 sounds interesting. Does it trade as a 1256 contract (US tax-wise)? Thanks.

#37     Nov 30, 2013
  8. I work a day job and swing trade. I'll hold a position for 1-4 days, which makes it possible for me to work and trade. I'll resign from my job when I hit a certain number.

#38     Nov 30, 2013
  9. RedDuke

RedDuke

No it is not unfortunately, since KRX is not "Qualified Board or Exchange" under 1256.

#39     Dec 2, 2013
  10. toolazy

toolazy

same here except my winners span over 20 days or so. as my size increased to meaningfull, I find that job is distraction. Last winning trade I have missed due to work related events, cost me more than yearly income from work. As such winners do not come too often, it is frustrating.

on the other side, if you do not have enough play money, it may be not fun as running my system consumes only couple of hours max a day. Farting at home day after day not much fun.

#40     Dec 2, 2013