To Build Or Not To Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jjme007, Jul 17, 2006.

1. gnome

gnome

I've probably had 20 or so computers over the years, and I completely disagree with those who want to "build their own"... not because they are really into computers and *want* to do it, but the notion that somehow it adds value for most users.

I've heard lots claim, "build your own for 1/2 the cost of a Dell". That's just plain hogwash. I've priced out all the components for an equivalent system and have been unable to match Dell's price... not to mention I'd have to put it together myself and each part would have a separate warranty to a different place. And, there'd be no "general technical support for system problems", if necessary. What a hassle, if it comes to that!

I'm not saying it's worthless to "know your way around a computer to a degree", but the benefits of building your own are waaayy overstated for most users.

BTW, Dell's components are not cutting edge on most models, but their quality is quite good. And at their prices, a good value.

#21     Jul 18, 2006
  2. Building your own is always going to be more expensive but at least you get what you want.

I spend upwards of 15 hours a day infront of my computer. I want to enjoy using it and I want to know I can rely on it, that's why I'd rather pay a little extra.

Runningbear

#22     Jul 18, 2006
  3. jjme007

jjme007

gnome

Strictly on a cost factor you are right most would say buying off the shelf is cheaper. Only when you factor in running around like a chicken with its head cut off anytime you have to diagnose why there's a blue screen instead of a picture, or why you can't add on a specific hardware without compromises or reinventing the wheel does "building your own" seem a permanent solution to what should be a not too important problem. I think the most important asset in building your own computer is knowing what you are doing, making informed decisions and eliminating as much as possible shooting in the dark with its attendant consequences.

Of course there is another solution like the Space Shuttle you could have triple redundancy. One system in the shop, one on standby and the other running your apps and saving data. This way you only have to remember the name of the store and find parking space as close as possible to the service exit.

#23     Jul 18, 2006
  4. JA_LDP

JA_LDP

We can. I built my sister one for her birthday 2 years ago. Got all the parts off ebay. The only problem I had was that it overheated and shut down a lot. A notebook cooling pad solved the problem.

#24     Jul 18, 2006
  5. nitro

nitro

I save myself between $50-100 when I build a machine instead of buying it from HPQ or DELL etc. The savings are meager...

nitro

#25     Jul 18, 2006
  6. mktman

mktman

#26     Jul 18, 2006
  7. gnome

gnome

I ran a comparative estimate against a Dell 9150 recent deal for a similar computer, including 19" LCD, for $679.

If you subtract $239 from the deal for the cost of the LCD... = $440 for the 9150.

Then, add $170, my estimate (upgrade PSU, DVD-RW, XP Pro, add Floppy Drive, etc.), for the difference in components = $610.

Tradersworld computer cost $1569 with shipping.

Now way in Hell Tradersworld computer is worth that kind of difference, though it does have 3, x16 slots.

#27     Jul 18, 2006
  8. gnome

gnome

Put another way.... you could buy TWO Dell 9150s + THREE 19" LCDs for the price of the Tradersworld box.

#28     Jul 18, 2006

9. This is so not true. I built a High end computer for about $1200 with better specs than a dell xps system worth about $2000. You got to know where and when to buy the parts thats the key. Also dell rips you off when u costumize or add different parts than the baseline computer. So if you buy a base computer with out upgrading most dell deals are hard to beat.

#29     Jul 18, 2006
  10. If you decide to really build your own, I would check out www.pricewatch.com. I've built a few systems and almost all of my parts have come from merchants listed on Pricewatch. It is basically a survey of Internet computer parts vendors. It lists components categorized by specifications and ordered by price, making it very easy to find the best deal. Just make sure the vendor you're planning to buy from is highly rated.

I've built computers for myself in the past to gain experience, select the parts that I want, save money by skimping on the parts I didn't care as much about (I've since realized that a quality case is more valuable than it would at first appear and gotten a roomier, sturdier one), and allow for upgradeability. These days, though, decent desktop systems have gotten so cheap that I would sooner buy a complete system from Dell than build a complete system myself. Plus, if you time it right, Dell will throw in a free flat panel monitor or some other "extra" that you may be interested in, depending on what specials they have going on at the time.

I would say the only downside to building your own system is it will probably be more expensive than buying. Nevertheless, it is a great learning experience and well worth the effort. It's really not too difficult either.

#30     Jul 18, 2006