To Build Or Not To Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jjme007, Jul 17, 2006.

1. gnome

gnome

A friend of mine got a Dell laptop and complained that the video display didn't look right on some websites and applications.

I suggested he wipe the HD clean and just reinstall the OS and drivers. He did and said WOW! Every display sharp and clear + it appears 200% faster.

#11     Jul 17, 2006
  2. jjme007

jjme007

Quote from gnome

Next time, get your computer at Best Buy

The custom unit I got at large independant computer store and its prices were more competitive than Best Buy (substanially).
    Dell has some retail outlets in the area but they don't retail through any of the big box outlets - at least in this area.

#12     Jul 17, 2006
  3. Yes - keep Wild Tangent, Back Web, and all the other crud OUT! :D

#13     Jul 17, 2006
  4. gnome

gnome

If I were in the market, this is the kind of thing I'd be considering...

"... There`s an instant $350 off and NO rebate to send in on Dell`s high end Dimension 9150 computer with a 19" Dell e196FP LCD monitor with fast 8ms response ($239 value). This Intel 945P based computer comes with a 2.8Ghz Pentium D Processor 820 Dual Core, 1GB of Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM ($60 value), a n80GB S-ATA 7200RPM hard drive, 48x CD-RW/DVD Combo drive ($30 value), 128MB ATI Radeon X300 SE HyperMemory PCIe x16 video card, integrated 7.1 channel audio, faster 10/100/1000 networking, Windows XP Home, and a longer 2 year warranty ($70 value)!

* Start here through the following link to these Dell Small Business desktops: DELL SMALL BUSINESS DIMENSION DESKTOPS
    * Click on Customize It under Dimension 9150 $679
    * All of the options for the lowest possible cost should already be selected, along with the LCD. Upgrade whatever else you may want.
    * On the right side of the page, click on Continue until you can click on Add to cart. Finish checking out. Ground shipping is FREE right now. Expires 7/19/06.

#14     Jul 17, 2006
  5. Its pretty easy building a computer. If u buy retail parts they come with manuals with very clear instructions. You dont save much by building your own computers unless you are building a high end computer. Just curious whats your reason for building one rather than buying a dell?

#15     Jul 17, 2006
  6. jjme007

jjme007

quote from gnome
    If I were in the market, this is the kind of thing I'd be considering...
    thanks for the suggestion gnome, I'll give it a look.

quote from 2001
    Just curious whats your reason for building one rather than buying a dell?

I guess it boils down to whether you should know how your computer is built. I used to think this was unnecessary, but many hardware glitches surly service and wasted time has forced me to look at the alternative of building my own computer and servicing it myself. I definitely see merit in this alternative since its not so difficult to do.

If it was possible to buy a computer and thereafter have prompt, courteous and competent service from the system manufacturer there would be no need to learn the hardware oneself - it would be redundant. The reality is otherwise, half assed, generally surly and incompetent, usually resulting in a compromised system.

I think Dell’s website is first rate and does a great job in helping buyers decide what is right for them individually. However, they have tried to streamline their troubleshooting with forced software. In other words they hide in a partition of the HD diagnostic and system recognition tools. My experience of this is not good. I'm not sure I even like the idea of my HD arriving with access over which I have no control.

There's also the other side of the service coin. The experience gained from building a computer makes one ask the right questions when seeking help. I have contributed my fair share of real dumb questions when discussing hardware problems. I should like to rectify that shortcoming, and I can't think of a better way than building my own computer: Reading about it is no substitute for actually doing it.

Also, there's little things that come back to bite you, like some Intel processor run hot. The Dell Dimension I bought some years ago has gone through 3 Fans, and when I used to run 3D rendering program (I only use it for surfing and emailing now) it was really noisy. When I first got that system I complained about the sound of the fan, the service tech told me she had a similar system and she couldn't hear the fan! Like that was supposed to solve my problem. I have a new P4 D 640, its many times more powerful, and sits in an Antec case - not a sound.

The computer I am in the market for now is for my trading platform. I shall configure with a quad display system. I have my eye on the new Intel Duo which is to be released next month. Supposed to be super fast, runs cooler than current P4's and is cheaper!

#16     Jul 17, 2006
  7. I much prefer to spec out my own computers. I only buy parts that are good quality so I can re-use parts for other machines at a later date.

Most computer parts suppliers will assemble and test a machine for $50 bucks. Why bother doing it yourself.

Runningbear

#17     Jul 18, 2006
  8. hcour

hcour Guest

I built my first system from scratch last year. It's a good feeling knowing I built it myself, w/exactly the parts I wanted and I know the whole system literally inside-out, every little piece.

I don't know how upgradable the Dells are, but this computer will last me for yrs and yrs. I've got a big case w/all the room for expansion I'll ever need in this lifetime. I've got an Asus A8N-E Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD mb. I installed an Athlon 64 3200 chip and this mb will take pretty much anything AMD has out now, including the dual-core chips, so for my computing needs this system will be upgradable for many yrs to come.

If you do build your own, do not skimp on the power-supply. I've got an Antec 500W, that's a good brand. Also get a good UPS, you don't want to build your perfect computer and then have it fried during a thunderstorm.

And buy everything from Newegg, their service is impeccable.

H

#18     Jul 18, 2006
  9. I recommend newegg, zipzoomfly, outpost, and monarch computers. they all are reputable and reliable. Try to look for deals. Saves lot of money. core duo2 is definitely a good idea. But they might be in short supply for fewmonths becuz of demand.

#19     Jul 18, 2006
  10. jjme007

jjme007

Quote from Runningbear

Most computer parts suppliers will assemble and test a machine for $50 bucks. Why bother doing it yourself.

That's my philosophy for most things - I haven't owned a car for twenty years - I lease every 2 yrs. The bliss of not owning a car is like having a perpetual vacation. Unfortunately, this principle cannot be applied to computers - unless you are a corporation with IT personnel.

The last machine I got was a P4 640 specked it out myself with the best parts, good reviews and customer feedback. I bought it from a local computer store, a warehouse type facility with a huge selection, and smiling sales. I had them build it for me as well, and when I picked it up they provided all the original boxes with corresponding serial numbers.

The first thing I discovered was the BIOS was configured for a floppy even though my system was configured without a floppy. After that the system started to hang on boot up and I downloaded latest BIOS from ASUS. You know the kid who built the system is getting little better than minimum and is looking forward each day to quitting time, yet I entrusted him with building my computer ($2,500) which I depend upon. Really, I need my head examined! As for service - well if I take it back to the same place they will give it another kid who may or may not get the problem solved, or even make it worse.

I am coming to the realization that a computer is much like a rifle. If you are going to be an effective marksman better learn how to dissemble the working parts, clean, oil and calibrate yourself.

I think Newegg is a great website and from what I read they are a good service oriented retailer. It's also a great source for specking out computer parts. I wish I could use them, but shipping across the Canadian border is a pain for both sender and recipient.

#20     Jul 18, 2006