TLT: "Yield" vs "Yield to Maturity"

Discussion in 'Fixed Income' started by KohPhiPhi, May 21, 2023.

1. KohPhiPhi

KohPhiPhi

Hello everyone,

Right now, at the iShare’s official webpage, TLT is listed with a “Yield" of 2.90% and a "Yield To Maturity" of 4.00%.

I understand that the difference is because many of the bonds currently held in TLT trade below par at the moment. However, I struggle to understand how that “Yield To Maturity” actually materializes in an ETF that is constantly rolling bonds and therefore many don’t reach maturity. Perhaps TLT’s price increases as bonds are rolled over? I am just trying to understand what is the real yield an investor actually gets, regardless of whether it is gained via distributions or via embedding it into the price hikes.

Thanks!

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. SunTrader

SunTrader

I would think the real yield one would get, is determined same as stonks, price value appreciation (or deficit) from original starting value.

3. ph1l

ph1l

https://www.ishares.com/us/products/239454/ishares-20-year-treasury-bond-etf
    upload_2023-5-21_10-52-0.png
    I think the "30-Day SEC Yield" is the best measure of what would be paid in the near future.

https://budgeting.thenest.com/determine-total-return-bond-fund-27362.html

4. mervyn

mervyn

murray t turtle likes this.
  5. %%
    WELL yield + price has been down trending nicely, since inception\LOL\use the lowest figure you can find. Looking @ all time frames good downtrend except 2019...
    Sorry\ 3 years TLT is much lower than any figure noted here\ + lower than SPY,QQQ, HYG,BIL.
    But one month, TLT finally had some gains looks more like 2.9%, looks like an annualized%, much worse than any good money market. Good down trending short, even with occasional monthly $00.25 dividend paid. Good volume on all those noted :caution::caution:

6. KohPhiPhi

KohPhiPhi

Thank you everybody for your responses, but the original question still remains: "How does “Yield To Maturity” actually materialize in an ETF that is constantly rolling bonds and therefore many won't ever reach maturity".

Does anyone know?