Title or Swift (Montreal)

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by malak77, Apr 24, 2009.

1. yea your finance major means you will get the job for sure because all finance majors are pro's at trading since they learn about finance

#11     Apr 25, 2009
  2. malak77

malak77

Well if you mean that my finance major won't get anywhere close to trading, i'd be curious to know what will.

Maybe...had I went into dentistry, I would have improved my odds... cause after all, learning about teeth is much more relevant than learning about finance to be trading financial instruments. Oh well, I'm sure they'll introduce teeth futures anyways...
    finance major...what the hell was I thinking!!

#12     Apr 26, 2009
  3. You seem to be pretty misguided. index_trader is right, insofar as you're looking at firms like Title or Swift. At Swift they couldn't care less about your degree. I don't know much about Title but if it's a prop shop (as opposed to a pro shop) they won't care either. Your business degree might help you get a gig sweeping the floors at an investment bank or other similar institution, or perhaps as a runner for some big trading outfit, but that's not what you said you're looking for.

Your degree might help you at a pro shop.

Maybe you should let go of all your assumptions and start over. There is a ton of good information here but you need to search it out and you need to have an open mind about it. Right now you're on the wrong track.

#13     Apr 26, 2009
  4. tredar

tredar

when you're starting off, perhaps. but i don't know what you consider a 'pro' shop. i mean in the beginning everyone at a regular prop shop starts off grinding, or trading in such a way that nothing learned matters. But just to give an example, people at a shop i know, they're studying for their cfa...and trust me when i say they don't need it. its just that after you've made money punting left and right, i mean just try doing that for a couple years and see how you feel. you might want more.

i mean at this same shop where everyone is backed, you have guys managing 2 mill acts, without any leverage. you have guys automating entire strategies. i mean i'll put it this way. I never studied finance and obviously some of these guys didn't either. But i'd never say I wouldn't want to know more about it because just simple things...like the earnings. i mean you can't hit those numbers manually as a gimmick. but with the right technology..i'll just say its being done. now why can't i bang that out even though i have access to that technology? right well try going with the momo on a product that has a 10 pt move in 1/2 a second with 1 pt spread on the release. you gotta have real reasons not to take a direction, but to at least be able to protect yourself on the downside and having all the execution parameters setup prior to the release, its not just doing the gimmicky technical nonsense everyone starts off trading, (not that theres any shame in it) but this area of trading, it requires more.

if you're gonna make it, you're gonna make it. after that, of course you might be able to put the study of astronomy to use, but i'd rather had a course in something POTENTIALLY useful.......

#14     Apr 26, 2009
  5. Since you quoted me, I'll respond. I read this over a few times and to be honest, I'm having trouble understanding the main point of the paragraph.

My only point was to the OP who was asking about Swift trading and then saying that his degree was going to help him get a position there or help him in his trading there. It won't help or hinder him. That's my only point. I'm not even saying that he shouldn't go to a shop like that, just that he seems to have a bit of an inaccurate impression of what goes on there, especially given his dream of getting great training and being mentored by successful traders etc etc. You ain't gonna get that at Swift.

By the way, the difference between a prop shop and a professional trading firm is this: at a prop shop, the business model is built around getting as many noobs in there as possible, getting them to put up some cash, and then grinding them for commissions for as long as you can keep them going to their ATM for more. The few successful guys they have are icing on the cake. If you have the cash, you get a seat.

At a pro firm, you are hired just like any other job and paid a salary.

#15     Apr 26, 2009