Tired of unavailable shorts at IB

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by newestmember, Nov 17, 2004.

1. NOTE to anyone from Tradestation:

THis comment is from I assume someone at IB; they seem to take note of customer concerns and indicate they are working to improve the situation. Good job guys and ladies at IB.

TS OTOH reminds me of the Baltimore Colts who left Baltimore for Indy in secret and under the cover of darkness. It would help if you gave YOUR CUSTOMERS feedback of what you are doing to improve what has been noted here and in other posts in other forums as being non responsive and secretive.

DS

#11     Nov 18, 2004
  2. barnes99

barnes99

Guys, try speedtrader or Alliance trader
    using the DAS software

Excellent short availability, all the goodies
    TASR RIMM KMRT GOOG and more

Very rare they dont have what im' trying
    to short available

#12     Nov 19, 2004
  3. Toonces

Toonces

Which one has the most shorts, do you think? I know Speedtrader clears through CCS. I have a broker that clears through CCS, and I was unable to short TASR today through them. So I'm assuming you can't short TASR through Speedtrader.

#13     Nov 19, 2004
  4. barnes99

barnes99

Both Alliance and Speedtrader use CCS,

No problem shorting TASR, shorted some on Friday
    They just put KMRT available too.

Both seem to have the exact same short list on the DAS software.

#14     Nov 20, 2004
  5. Toonces

Toonces

That's interesting. I assumed that all brokers that cleared through the same place had the same short list. I wonder why I couldn't short TASR through Genesis, which uses CCS

At the CCS website, they show only 1737 available stocks for shorting. That seems pretty low to me.

http://www.ccls.com/CCSShort.htm

#15     Nov 21, 2004
  6. barnes99

barnes99

Dont know why you couldnt short TASR, strange,
    maybe Genesis still considers it too high of a risk to make available

all i can tell you about short availabiltiy thru CCS is that
    they almost always have what i want to trade, though
    i do stick with more main stream high volume stocks like
    the nets, semi's, pharma, and education sectors. Unless a stock
    is gapping from news i dont go around trying to find exotics to trade.
    Stocks like AMZN ASKJ EBAY BRCM KLAC MXIM SNDK APOL CECO TASR RIMM GOOG KMRT to name a few, just trade too nice to waste time looking for others. I.M.H.O.

#16     Nov 21, 2004
  7. bebe

bebe

IB's short list sucks.

If you are a "letsbuyandhopeitgoeshigher" type - you may be fine with them. But if you are a TRADER (wanting to go long AND short momentum stocks) - you are out of luck. IB-s short list is a SHAME!
    Absolutely ridiculous. Stocks with multimillion shares in volume and $5-20 price range are not available for borrow! No matter how you say that - it is simply UNACCEPTABLE! Give me a break!!!

That's why I am leaving them.

#17     Nov 24, 2004
  8. Bob111

Bob111

and where are going to? just curious. i tried many brokers and i did give up couple good systems,where only shorts are involved.
    believe me-other brokers will be even worse with shorts than IB.
    combination of two or more accounts in different companies may work, but also-not always. 78% of stocks from nasdaq is very,very good number for IB.

#18     Nov 24, 2004
  9. bebe

bebe

Bob,

I'm going to a brokerage that clears through one of the big boys.
    (I'll let you know.) IB self clears - that's why their short list sucks. IB is too small for this.
    The number you mention is misleading - when AT LEAST 60% of the stocks I want to short is not available - well, that FACT leaves a lot to be desired.

Good luck!

#19     Nov 24, 2004
  10. barnes99

barnes99

Exactly!!!!!!!, who cares how many stocks
    they have available to short if they arent worth trading! Its not the quantity but the quality

#20     Nov 24, 2004