Tired of Trading From Home?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by NTMtrader, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Mark,

Any suggestion on how to find other Tradestation users in my area? I tried posting on their forums - no luck. Similar results with ad for short term traders in a local newspaper. I'm in a smaller city (Buffalo). The local IBD group are just buy and hold folks.

Brooks

#21     Aug 24, 2010
  2. I am not the great Mark, but there appears to be a daytraders group in Buffalo. try meetup.com

http://www.meetup.com/Day-Traders-Support-Group/

#22     Aug 24, 2010
  3. Hi Bear,

Thanks for the message.

I did go to a meeting with that group and still stay in touch with one guy.

But they are not TS users and they are discretionary and I was looking for traders leaning more to a system/methodical approach.

Brooks

#23     Aug 25, 2010
  4. LEAPup

LEAPup

I agree! Skype and webex would be a big money saver vs. a bunch of guys sitting in front of monitors, and only talking when it comes to "what's for lunch today?"

I use gotomeeting, and it works well for me. Haven't tried webex.

Gotta say, if Bolimomo tells you something about computers, you can take that to the bank.

#24     Aug 25, 2010
  5. Trading from home...

In the late '70s, I was part of a financial services group.... my share of the overhead was about $7500/mo.

We had a "falling out" and broke up the business... I started trading from home in the early '80s. My overhead dropped to about $1,000/mo... most of my current expense is computer and data related.

That has saved me ~ $2.2 Million in expenses. Plus, I go to work in tennis togs and can drink beer at 10 AM if I want... What's not to like? :) :)

#25     Aug 25, 2010
  6. as i sit here looking out my office window at my mountian view and listen to the birds in my yard while i trade in my custom built office i am thinking wtf is this guy smoking. why would anyone want to drive to a city and go to an office?

#26     Aug 25, 2010
  7. Picaso

Picaso

I'm sure we all have better things to do than finding animated smileys.

[​IMG]

#27     Aug 25, 2010
  8. LEAPup

LEAPup

You're killing me! I still have an office as I manage retail $$$$

I'd LOVE to be able to do this from home wearing shorts, a t-shirt, and sipping iced tea.:)

I am seriously considering only having Client meetings at the office, and doing all of my work from my home office.

#28     Aug 25, 2010
  9. It seems that you had paid $500/month, or $6000/year, for a socializing opportunity?

#29     Aug 25, 2010
  10. I used to manage a mutual fund timing service... before the fund managers got tired of our exchanges and kicked us all out... I had the dubious distinction of being banned from trading in > 20 mutual fund companies' funds... :>)

Never met with local clients after the initial sign-up. For the non-locals, never met with them personally.

A fond memory was a comment from a client.... "How can you be in business of managing money when your phone is not listed?" LOL! Clients had my phone number, of course... my phone is still non-listed.

#30     Aug 25, 2010