Tired of reading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by bluegreen, Aug 15, 2006.

1. It was for him...until the law caught up! :p

#11     Aug 15, 2006
  2. Yeah, he's got his retirement "locked up" if you know what I mean.

Heheh.

#12     Aug 15, 2006
  3. sprstpd

sprstpd

Worst book ever written in terms of clarity and ease of reading. Tried reading it, could never even come close to finishing it. Who proofread this beast?

#13     Aug 15, 2006
  4. i sort of worry about you if thats how you feel.

if you are fired up about trading - you should be excited about acquiring knowledge. if you are new especially...

sadly, you might only get a few good ideas in the books you read. but in a few years - some of the classics you can read again and you will take away more...

maybe you just need a break??little holiday?

good luck,

nne

#14     Aug 15, 2006
  5. yeah - i find alan farley way off base...lotta 3 dollar words and long windedness without any real insight....

#15     Aug 15, 2006
  6. PLATER

PLATER

and now you've finished reading all those books its onto the ticker..............

#16     Aug 15, 2006
  7. Superstupid (I assume that's what sprstpd is the contraction of), Alan's book is an IQ test. Most readers fail.

#17     Aug 15, 2006
  8. JHO got it right. Having said that there are some threads here regarding favorite books.

Get on a simulator and apply what you learn from some of the books. Even if someone were to tell you the Holy Grail, it won't work until you can apply it without emotions making you do what you don't need to do.

BTW the Holy Grail is to correctly interpret price, volume and time and trade in a time frame that suits your temperament. Observation is key.

Would you fly a 747 at 32,000 ft just because you read a book telling you how.

Trading real money after just reading a book is like reading "Learn Judo in 7 days" then telling an enemy, "alright now, come at me with a knife."

#18     Aug 15, 2006
  9. <i>Trading real money after just reading a book is like reading "Learn Judo in 7 days" then telling an enemy, "alright now, come at me with a knife."</i>

Luke, that is hands down the best analogy I've read in months if not years! Mind if I quote it? (just kidding, it's yours)

I've read so many books on trading thru the years, few dozen still boxed up in my attic as I type. Many of them had little gems of info inside, but a lot of that info I couldn't identify at the time for the value it held until my own base of knowledge grew.

Knowledge is built upon knowledge: what a lot of traders view as junk or unusable at first pass later on holds a key to their success the second time around. At least that was true for me.

One book that helped me most above all else? <b>"Power Of Positive Thinking"</b> by Norman Peale. It sold 30+ million copies worldwide for a reason... mind control is one key to success in any aspect of life, for sure.

Austin P

#19     Aug 15, 2006
  10. sprstpd

sprstpd

Yes, it is superstupid. You could be right about the IQ test. To me it was more of a trial by fire, or Chinese water torture, or plucking my toenails out. I have an insatiable appetite for knowledge and somehow I was "full" after reading 20 pages of Farley's book. I've read every trading book that I've gotten my hands on from cover to cover except for one so far.

#20     Aug 15, 2006