Tips from mysterious online Internet posters

Discussion in 'Trading' started by bond_trad3r, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Say you're on a board like ET, a new user registers and posts a vague tip to puchase cuz stock. You ignore it only for the stock to make big gains after reporting blow-out earnings or some other news event. Next few times the user posts, big moves follow the stock. The user then disappears and never posts again.

Would you act on the advice of an anonymous poster that has a proven albeit short track record. Would this be insider trading if it's later proven that the anonymous poster was sharing non-public information? Would anyone care?

2. no one cares about anything here

but they are deeply concerned if you post more than once every 4 minutes

You are posting too soon after your last post. Try again in a few minutes.

3. Could be insider info.
    Never act on advice from an anonynous poster.

4. Uh, no! "Past performance is not indicative of future results". Far better to concentrate on your own methods.

IMHO :)

5. Never act on tips. You may get one that works. That is the worst thing that could happen. Because the next tip you take could crush you.:D

6. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

Two of the worst equity trades I ever made were quite a long time ago on tips :

1. Someone working in a large retail chain that had been in
    business a long time was touting their company stock to
    everyone at our sports club. They were deadly serious that
    it was a strong rebound candidate. I bought some shares.
    A month later they went insolvant, and the guy was out of a
    job.

2. Someone on my sports team was touting two Companies,
    one of which was a local company trending up. Seemed like
    a growth candidate. So I bought some. Still have the shares
    many years later, but they were delisted and worth almost
    nothing, their fall from grace was spectacularly fast.

About three months after buying this company I noticed a
    relative of the touter was a major executive at the firm.

One of the worst misses I had was in the 1990s, when I was considering IBM. I got talked out of it by one of the guys excited about gold stocks, especially juniors. The whole group there were gold bugs in there spare time. I bought a miner instead and made a little ( it was late in the game for that hot sector ), then watched IBM split and go up 200% in 1-2 years.

The lesson I learned is tips are rarely good, and generally come from people without trading skills. It would be like shorting the S&P 500 with near term puts every time GrandStuperCycle posts "I urge caution. Major correction is imminent". You'd go broke within 3 months listening to the guy. I had to laugh at the Wile E. Coyote reference. Because everytime that character gets squashed, he comes back. Maybe that works for today's market, dozens of fake corrections and it always rebounds within days.
    I suspect in the fall though it will be the "Road Runner" Rally again.

7. posts a vague tip to puchase cuz stock.

----------------------

If you have your own method to evaluate stocks, do your own DD on the tip and act accordingly.

If it looks like a coin toss, well, not much of a tip.

OR
    you could always ask the poster a question or two that you know the answer too and see how he responds.

Credibility is earned.

----------------------

If the poster disappears, so what. It's hard to ascertain a persons motive on the net.

---------------

On the flip side of tips, it was right here on ET I inquired for comments on a stock and one guy told me it was a pos, he was right. :cool: AND with valid reasons, did I listen? Nope.